free website stats program Speed sensor problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed sensor problems

1970bigblock

I have a 2007 softtail standard. The speedo quit working and the turn signals would not auto cancel. I replaced the speed sensor with a factory sensor and it lasted about 50 miles, then the speedo and auto cancel failed again. My question is this, are there any after market sensors that are proven to work more than 50 miles? Might there be another problem with the bike?

Thanks
John

The first time I had the sensor replaced it was done at Outpost Harley in Pueblo CO. I'm sure they pulled the codes at that time. I'll try another sensor.
Thanks
John

The first time I had the sensor replaced it was done at Outpost Harley in Pueblo CO. I'm sure they pulled the codes at that time. I'll try another sensor.
Thanks
John

My opinion only but I would never assume that a dealer did anything "above and beyond" what's required to get you back out the door with your wallet a little thinner. I would at least ask if they had done this. Easy enough todo yourself anyway. And I definitely would not pay a dime for the new sensor!

Thanks
John

More than likely they cleaned the old sensor and reinstalled it again. This is about the way it happens when you clean them, it just doesn't last any time at all. I would call or drop by the shop with bill and bike in hand and ask them if they replaced it or cleaned it. They owe you!

Are you sure they changed it and didn't just clean it, say they changed it, and then charge you for new one?

Are you sure they changed it and didn't just clean it, say they changed it, and then charge you for new one?

Just to make sure things are replaced at a repair shop, make an identifying mark on the part or parts to be removed or replaced to make sure the part was removed or replaced. A sharpie pen works well. I do this for any repair work that I have to have someone else perform. Bike or cage.

Ask for old parts back its the law, like Glider said they may not have replaced it I always ask for my old parts unles its a warranty job then they bag em and ship them back to the MOCO so they say

Last edited by a moderator:
.... make an identifying mark on the part or parts to be removed or replaced to make sure the part was removed or replaced.

I was going to mention this because I do it if it has to go to the dealer for warranty work but I thought I would be the odd one here :D

Sometimes just a dimple from a punch will do it.

Back