free website stats program Spectro tranny oil question | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro tranny oil question

BOWHIKER

First let me start and say I did mi winter prep on the ST changed all 3 fluids . When I drained the transmission the spectro looked as good as when I put it in , only 2400 miles . Here is my question , as I was pouring the new oil in when I was down to the last 1/4 of what was left in the bottle a small glob came out and went right down the hole . It happened quick so I couldn't stop it . It kinda looked like a blood clot or snot ! I hope it's nothing to worry about , I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be . I did start and ride for a couple miles just to make sure there weren't any leaks . What ever it was it had to of settled to the bottom of the bottle otherwise I would have thought it would have came out first when I first started pouring the oil in . What ever it was it had to be soft so I don't think there's any change of any damage , there isn't any kind of pump in the tranny is there ?

Just a thought here. If it is bothering you, as it appears it is, why not use a clean catch tray and drain it out again. If it is something you can easily remove, grab it and look it over. If you feel uncertain about the oil take it back. Better safe than sorry.

Might try the drain and refill technique, and strain through a paint filter (4 for 99¢ at Lowe's). Also, take a look at what might be attached to the drain plug. Neither water nor foil are ferrous so won't be captured by the plug's magnet but should settle to the lowest point, i.e. the drain plug area.

I just changed the Spectro Trans fluid on the Harlot through a filter and it came out very clean but there was a small (about 1/2 teaspoon's worth) of light brown gunk on the plug. Looked like oil after a head gasket blew and coolant mixed with the oil. I assumed a bit of water got into the tranny somehow (breather? or from the container?) and mixed with with the fluid. Whatever it was it was heavier than the fluid so it sank to the bottom and wasn't being mixed in. There were no metal whiskers or other debris, just the slimy brown gunk.

Don't think you have a problem, but would drain and refill just for peace of mind. Good luck.

Silver

bowhiker, I Use To Run Ams oil Many Years Ago, Which Is a Full Sinthetic Oil And Would Sometimes See Lumps Of Whatever In It On occasion, Never Had Any Problems. The Spectro oil Is A Blend Of Sinthetic And mineral Oil So Maybe It Just Happens In The Way They manufacture The oil At Times, or how long it was Sitting on A Shelf.... Rosco

Back