free website stats program spectro oil sae 70 | Harley Davidson Forums

spectro oil sae 70

aldofalivene

Hello guys,
'm using spectro oil (SAE 70) in my 88 tc, and I must say, that seems a different bike,
Quiet, compressed, smooth,
Can you tell me if there are contraindications, known on the use of this oil,
A hug from an Italian motorcyclist

Hello guys,
'm using spectro oil (SAE 70) in my 88 tc, and I must say, that seems a different bike,
Quiet, compressed, smooth,
Can you tell me if there are contraindications, known on the use of this oil,
A hug from an Italian motorcyclist

Spectro is a very good oil, I have one question tho Why are you using 70 weight oil as opposed to 20-50?:s

The engine is designed to use a multi weight oil for various reasons. Using a heavier weight oil can restrict oil flow to some parts causing a problem. The film thickness will be greater with the 70wt but some parts may be lacking in lubrication.

Straight 70 weight? That's pretty heavy stuff when cold. Maybe in a Taxi cab that I never turned off.:)

Definitely good oil, but you're running a tad thick (syrup)...might want to dial back to 20W/50 for better lubrication.

Spectro is a very good oil, I have one question tho Why are you using 70 weight oil as opposed to 20-50?:s

Straight 70 weight? That's pretty heavy stuff when cold. Maybe in a Taxi cab that I never turned off.:)

Definitely good oil, but you're running a tad thick (syrup)...might want to dial back to 20W/50 for better lubrication.

Gone over this before , just because something quiets and engine down does not mean it doing it any good. If that was the case we could just add 50% STP to it and ride.
Modern engine, transmission use thiner lubes that is how they are designed. The lubes flow faster and carry heat away better.
The flow into and out of tighter clearances as the should.
Using a straight 50 or even a 60 in very high heat may not be a problem but 70 IMO would be pushing it .

thanks for the responses, I preferred to use a SAE 70, because, after several experiences with all types of alcohol, this seemed the best suited to my needs.
This, my idea was reflected today, after a ride of 300 miles,
made between, on the highway, mountain roads and city traffic.
I was enthusiastic, for temperatures, consumption, and driving pleasure.

thanks for the responses, I preferred to use a SAE 70, because, after several experiences with all types of alcohol, this seemed the best suited to my needs.

Sorry, but, HUH ???? " experiences with all types of alcohol"???? Are you referring to your fuel or???

The engine is designed to use a multi weight oil for various reasons. Using a heavier weight oil can restrict oil flow to some parts causing a problem. The film thickness will be greater with the 70wt but some parts may be lacking in lubrication.

According to my owners manual, HD recommends SAE 60 for temperatures over 80 degrees. I'm using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 full syn now, but if the manual says to use straight 60, I'm not sure how it could hurt. Straight 70 might be a little much though. My bike is a 2000 Heritage, so I don't know what the manual says for the newer bikes. I'm tempted to try the straight 60 for the rest of the summer and see what that does. We haven't been below 80* for the past month and a half and we've got two more months of this to go. I just rode 200 miles in this heat and while my bike never got over 250*, I think I did. :( Got a real nice sun tan though. :D

I preferred to use a SAE 70, because, after several experiences with all types of alcohol, this seemed the best suited to my needs.

I've had several experiences with all types of alcohol too. Don't remember too many of them and probably don't want to either, but I think I had fun. At least I lived to tell about it. :p
And just out of curiosity, are you drinking this 70W or putting it in your bike??? Prunes work better and don't have such a bitter after taste. :D

Back