free website stats program Specialized Tools | Harley Davidson Forums

Specialized Tools

Ishmael

I've always thought the best ways to learn are reading, watching, asking questions and reading some more, but at some point you have to just jump in and do it. I have a decent set of tools but wanted to ask the question:

What are some specialized tools you would recommend to have on hand for general maintenance and eventually more complex efforts in taking care of my Harley? Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Ishmael

I would suggest good inch lbs and foot lbs torque wrenches. I also bought quality sets of torx and allen head sockets.

I would suggest good inch lbs and foot lbs torque wrenches. I also bought quality sets of torx and allen head sockets.

Thanks geezer. I need to clarify. I have the above so I guess I'm asking are there any special "Harley" tool I might need.
Ismael

I have the inner cam bearing remover and installer. I also keep spare "O" rings for the drain plugs and spare pivot pin clips for the clutch and brake levers. You should also have cable luber with a long needle injector
Kemo

I would suggest a belt tension tester and personally I like the HD oil filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter.

A primary drive locking tool, there are several types out there, the one I have probably looks like the one in your service manual.

Think you might need or want to change the shocks, lowering kit maybe? Snap-On SRES24. You can change the shocks by yourself and there's no need to lift the bike. Got mine on Ebay for half of what Snap-On wants for it.

Tappet block alignment screws. I use three, some only use one. Three will perfectly align the block. Put them in, install the first screw and take them out one at a time putting the screw in when you take one out.

Dial indicator so you can check run out on crank, cam and rotors

Hey I got all that stuff. These things you accumulate and store them and when the time comes to use them you suddenly remember about them.
Kemo

Thanks for the replies. I have a BD (65) coming up soon. Wife says I can't retire, but boy do I have a list of gifts I'm gonna expect in exchange for another year of work.
Ishmael

For a EVO How about:
A Hand fluid pump with the right fittings to change fork oil through the suspension. A second pair of hands helps too

I cut a slot in a old socket to go over the wires to tighten the front Amber turn light

Round rubber bushing to go between the motor and jack to raise and lower

Motion Pro tool to remove and install rocker covers bolts

Cargo strap loops for trailing

Duct tape to drain oil tank

I'm sure I am forgetting something - Bob

Back