free website stats program Spark Plug wire size | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Plug wire size

99RK Rider

I am planning on changing my plug wires on my 99 Road King. It has the stage 2 SE kit. Was just wondering if a wire upgrade to 10.4mm wires over 8mm is worth the extra $ or not.:newsmile093:

Since the change of gas to 15% ethanol here, mileage (EDIT):mgun:

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

As for an electrical advantage, I just don't see one. Since the wires are so short and they are not in contact with any surrounding metal, I really see no electrical advantage for going with them.
Now if you were running a MSD ignition and you had 40KV of available voltage, that would be a different story.

Now cosmetics are something else.:)

You won't see a bit of difference. If the wires were 50 feet long, maybe but doubtful even then. As short as motorcycle wires are absolutely not.

Save your money and stick with stock. I got a set of the new screaming eagle wires as a gift and see no change in the way my bike runs from stock wires:s

Stock plugs and stock wires, hard to beat that combo. ION sensing could be affected if you change either.

There's no ion sensing on a '99, so you're not limited to stock stuff. You can pretty much run what you want. I like NGK plugs, as a holdover from my dirt-bike days, and usually run SE wires on my '99 Ultra.

There's no ion sensing on a '99, so you're not limited to stock stuff. You can pretty much run what you want. I like NGK plugs, as a holdover from my dirt-bike days, and usually run SE wires on my '99 Ultra.

The ION sensing is a Delphi system feature but I still would use stock plugs and wires.

Your money, buy what you want. Agree w/other posts...unless you're drag racing, stock wires are fine. Can go w/8.Xmm if you want something better than stock...anything more is overkill.

Back