free website stats program spark but I don't want to start | Harley Davidson Forums

spark but I don't want to start

BeBous05

Hello
I'm Bernard, i come from France and i leave now in Alabama since 2 years i have 2 Harley Davidson that I try to restore by myself . today i speak about the last one (the other one 1991 FXR will be in another thread ;-)
My bike 2002 HD 1450 FXDP, dont want to start , there is a spark , gasoline but nothing,so here what i did : new carburator, new air intake gasket (with new flange),new spark plug and cable, new batterie, new crank shaft sensor, new MAF sensor gasket, front and rear cylinder compression are the same (130PSI). fuses checked, no warning light.. but still nothing, remove ECM to check connectors, seems ok (no corrosion),she blows a shot in the carburetor a shot in the muffler ...do i need to replace ECM ?
thanks guys

Welcome aboard Bernard from Gulf Coast AL. You may have a timing issue or as you say a problem with the ECM. Someone should chime in to offer more help, hopefully you won't have to spend $ for an ECM.

When did it last run? did you do any work on it prior to it not starting? how did you check for spark?
If you have fuel and spark it should fire in my opinion, I agree with Russ, you may have a ECM issue.

Welcome aboard Bernard from Gulf Coast AL. You may have a timing issue or as you say a problem with the ECM. Someone should chime in to offer more help, hopefully you won't have to spend $ for an ECM.
Hello,yes i think there is an ECm issue (i checked the connection and clean up),but always nothing

When did it last run? did you do any work on it prior to it not starting? how did you check for spark?
If you have fuel and spark it should fire in my opinion, I agree with Russ, you may have a ECM issue.
Hello Jeff , the last time it was just before i rebuild the carburator (fuel leak,bad gasket ,needle,dirty,accelerator pump etc) and finaly i replaced the carburator by a new one.i checked the spark with a spark tester
even i spray a carburator cleaner it doesnt start,only it bursts in the carburetor or in one of the exhaust pipes
so I think there is a problem with the timing (controlled by ECM) i ordered one on ebay (used but checked and guaranted 30 days) that gives me time to check ;-)

Could it be spark plug wires are on wrong cylinders?
HI Joel,thanks but it s not possible there is 1 long (Front cylinder) and 1 short (rear cylinder)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jeff , the last time it was just before i rebuild the carburator (fuel leak,bad gasket ,needle,dirty,accelerator pump etc) and finaly i replaced the carburator by a new one.i checked the spark with a spark tester
even i spray a carburator cleaner it doesnt start,only it bursts in the carburetor or in one of the exhaust pipes
so I think there is a problem with the timing (controlled by ECM) i ordered one on ebay (used but checked and guaranted 30 days) that gives me time to check ;-)

Popping back through the carb and or the exhaust indicates to me a timing issue. You shall soon find out when you replace the ECM. Keep us updated.

D

ECMs don't usually just "go bad" and timing just doesn't change. I am thinking the issue is fuel related but the OP says he has spark and fuel which is normally all that is needed to fire start and run. Compression is a little low but shouln't prevent startup. I agree with Jeff, if fuel and spark are there, the motor should at least start. I will be surprised if a new ECM solves the problem but I have been surprised before.;)

Doesn't a replacement ECM have to be programmed or does it come programmed? Not my area of expertise but I think the ECM looks for other components like th TSSM, coil and other electrical connetions? Password required?

Last edited:
Could it be spark plug wires are on wrong cylinders?
Hi Joel,you are right,thank you
when i reinstalled the coil and spark plug wires,i dont install the good one one the coil....now it s ok
I have to adjust the carburetor (mixture) it only starts with the choke and some flashback in the exhaust .
i have vince & hines muffler and KN air intake filter , my main jet its 185 and slow jet 45 does its enough ? I would like to change with 190 and 48

Glad to hear the no start issue is resolved.
In my line of work we have a 4 letter word when problems come up.
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid
I find myself telling me this more than before, must be an old age thing

Back