free website stats program Sound system issue - Harman Kardon | Harley Davidson Forums

Sound system issue - Harman Kardon

TQuentin1

Staff member
OK Folks. For you all that have some experience with the HK sound systems on the big baggers, I have a '12 UC with the OEM version of the HK sound system as it comes from HD. I have just (like in the last few days) developed an issue that is irritating. Periodically the sound will cut out on the speakers (all four). But if I change position of the selector switch on the dash (Speaker Control Switch, P/N 77092-98, #35 on schematic/parts list) to either the center or close side down, which ever it wasn't, the sound comes back on most of the time. Sometimes I have to rock the switch through all three positions and then the sound will return.

So my inclination is that the switch is bad (probably corrosion inside the switch) and to replace it. But this morning to try and debug the problem a bit further, I switched from SAT to CD to see if the sound cutting out continued. I only did this for the last couple of minutes of my ride in, but during that time, the sound did NOT cut out. So my question is: does anyone know if there is any feedback to the HK radio that would suggest anything more than a bad Speaker Control Switch? FYI, I did order a new switch from Boardtracker HD yesterday. Will swap that out when it comes in anyway.

Thanks for your help and input.

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Inner fairing parts schematic-reduced.pdf
    514.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Inner fairing parts list-reduced.pdf
    583.3 KB · Views: 5
TQ; I know very little about the radios and selector switch. But I do know the '06-'13 HK wiring harness laid over the sharp fin edge on the right (brake lever) side of the radio. Two of my friends had intermittent problems and both were caused by wear into the wiring. Worth a look,, and free.

The switch does seem like a good item to replace being you were able to bring back sound after changing the position of it.
On my 13 LTD during a speaker up grade,I did find the speaker harness was rubbing on the inner fairing support bracket.
The outer fairing does come off fairly easy, about 10 minutes of work. Than you can inspect both brackets for cracks and if the wires have rubbed into the insulation.

Will check that out.

Further up-date: yesterday I said that I had switched to the CD to see if it had the same issues, or it it seemed to be something else that was HK soundsystem related. Well on the way home yesterday after noon, it did the same thing when on the CD as on the SAT. So I am pretty well convinced that it is switch related, or at least not a problem with the HK radio.

I will swap out the switch when the new one gets here, and inspect the rest of the wire harness for any sort of chafing problem that may have damaged the wiring. I have to take the front fairing off anyway to replace the cigarette lighter socket (corroded). I use that for my cel phone charger.

Alright. Installed new speaker selector switch and buttoned it all up (after fixing the key switch housing - see other post). Rode the bike, but the problem STILL THERE!!! Back to the garage and took the dash and front fairing back off to try and debug!

Turned on radio and switched to CD. Fiddled with all the wiring trying to get the speakers to cut out. Only time it would was when it was on SAT and I was messing with the antenna and antenna wire. But I was in the garage so the reception in there is spotty at best. Not a really finding since the speakers are cutting out in all the sources I have tried (FM, SAT, CD). I went ahead and ordered a new XM antenna (XM Radio Short-Length 4' Mini-Micro Antenna) and plug converter (XM Radio Fakra-to-SMB Tuner/Cradle Adapter (Pink)). But that is not the problem.

So I called Iron Cross Audio and talked to them about the symptoms. The Tech Guy is pretty well sure that the issue is inside the Harmon Karden radio. So out it comes and over to NC for a fixin'!!!

Will report back after all that is done.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Pulled the radio out and sent it to Iron Cross Audio. They are supposed to get it on Monday (USPS - fixed rate box).

Will let you all know how it goes, and what the turn around is. Also, if that fixes the problem!!!

Cheers,

TQ

Back