free website stats program Soon-to-be-Snowbird | Harley Davidson Forums

Soon-to-be-Snowbird

bigcletus

If all goes according to plan, in 5 years I'll be 100% retired (from working for a living at least). As I live in The Great White North I'd like to spend 4 - 5 months in the South. I'd like to avoid Florida..too many Snowbirds and tourists lol. Someone mentioned Southern Texas, the South Padre Island area. Does anyone know what that area is like for biking ?? Crime rate ?
Is the cost of living lower than FL? Good weather ( Dec - April ) ?

I would probably buy a mobile home...anyone on this forum have one in that part of the country, who could enlighten me ??

Thanks

Padre Island is beautiful for riding. In the fall they have the Bikefest and there is also a spring rally. In most cases it is riding weather, but it can get a little nasty, hurricanes, but for the most everything is good. There are many beautiful roads and beaches, hill country and mountains. This is the reason why this is "THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS"! And to take it just a little bit further, Mexico is just right down the road. All that you could ever wish for is here. Great fishing and hunting is also available. Take my word, you'll love it, I know I do. Except for right now, it snowing and raining!:D:D

Congrats on getting close to retirement. I've been retired for almost 2 years now, and it's wonderful.

As it stands now, southern Texas is the leading contender for the "honor" of my presence lol. I also have another question, especially for the Texans that read this. I live in Canada, and am a Canadian (of course). I'm also a gun-owner here, (8 hand-guns, legal of course), a couple of rifles and shotguns. As a non-US citizen, could I buy and possess a hand-gun in Texas, mostly for home defense ?? I would not be transporting it out the country, or even the state, but would have it secured down south when I'm home in Canada for the summers.
I will also post this on the "gun locker" forum.

Thanks

Back