free website stats program Some questions about slip-on brands . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Some questions about slip-on brands . . .

markfsanderson

All,
Here is a list of what I want out of aftermarket slipons:
  1. Civilized in the neighborhood - wild on the street. I don't want a tinny/metalic sound - I want it to growl like a . . . Harley!! Not earth shattering while up and down the street, but a little louder is fine. On the freeway - loud is just fine!
  2. Increase in torque along the entire rpm range . . . with focus on mid to high rpms. More HP is nice, but not a priority.
  3. Well built - good chrome and steel
  4. Fair Price and made in the USA (not cheap, just fair)
Looks like I want everything huh? Here is a list of aftermarket slipons that I found on the J&P cycles website. This isn't to say this is where I'll
purchase my slip-ons . . . .but they do have a pretty well organized site. I'm good for spending less $$!!
Any help, advice, ideas and etc would be greatly appreciated. What were your experiences with the brand you bought? You liked it?
It sux rox? Tell me as much as you can . . . Thanks!

Dynopower: Dyno Power Tapered Style Replacement Mufflers | 450-250 | JP Cycles
Cycleshack: Cycle Shack Tapered Slip-On Mufflers for Dyna | 450-454 | JP Cycles
Khromewerks: 202126 Khrome Werks Slip-On Mufflers | 450-247 | JP Cycles
Khromewerks: 202410 Khrome Werks HP-Plus Slip-on Mufflers | 450-613 | JP Cycles
Khromewerks: 202410 Khrome Werks HP-Plus Slip-On Mufflers for Dyna | 441-754 | JP Cycles
259.99 (note the manufacturers part # is the same but they have 2 different JP part #'s for it? Weird)
S&S Cycle: 55-6035 S&S Cycle Slip Ons
Rush: 14205-200 Rush Tip Compatible Slip-on Mufflers with 2P Cycles
359.99 (included because tip compatable w/taper, showing 2" model available from 1.75 to 2.25" in .25 inch increments)
SuperTrapp: 628-78055 SuperTrapp Slip-On Tapered Mufflers | 450-0066 | JP Cycles
619.99 (can't tell the difference between this one and the next)
SuperTrapp: 628-78088 SuperTrapp Tapered Chrome Slip-On Mufflers for Dyna Glide | 450-0067 | JP Cycles

Questions:
- How does baffle size - e.g. 1.75 inches vs 2.0 inches - affect performance, sound etc?
- Length vs. diameter can a shorter muffler affect torque/hp and if so how? (Rush)
- Is supertrapp tuning worthwhile for a cruiser like an FXDC? I want more power and better sound - but don't need to squeeze every drop out though . . . I do like the concept of a tunable pipe though . . .
- How is the chrome quality for these manufacturers? Is the quality about the same, or is higher $$ going to give you higher quality?
- Any idea about the price differential (Other than the SuperTrapp) they are all about the same . . . I guess?!

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

:D All of your choices are good, you need to decide what looks good to you and what fits your budget. Plus listen to some sound bites on these mufflers. I had the rush, sold them, I went back with the Cycle shack, but I did modify them a bit for more back pressure( THEY r a bit loud):s

:D All of your choices are good, you need to decide what looks good to you and what fits your budget. Plus listen to some sound bites on these mufflers. I had the rush, sold them, I went back with the Cycle shack, but I did modify them a bit for more back pressure( THEY r a bit loud):s
Jack,
How did you make that modification for more back pressure?

I like loud myself . . . but firing up my Harley in my apartments garage on an early Sunday morning won't make me very popular with the civilians - for sure! Haha! I'm trying to find magical (Or mythical?) pipe that will purr in the garage and in the neighborhood - but roar when asked to do so . . . along with power and looks as well . . . tall order?

Mark - Thanks!

PS: These aren't stand-alone garages - they're part of the apartment building . . . some discretion is needed (boo!)

Last edited:
Thanks Jack. It doesn't take much to add some restriction it looks like, I want to make the slip-ons I bought balance out a bit since I have the stock headers, so was thinking of adding some restriction to the right side.
I bought Clock Werks slash forward supersavers after seeing a post on this sight. They are reasonably quiet when under little throttle but they bark pretty good when you roll it on. I allways wanted Rineharts but these were half the price and I'm pretty happy with the sound.
Harley.

I am more than pleased with my Khrome Werks slip-ons. Nice deep sound. Not "tinny" sounding, not too loud. I bought them from Axiom cycles. Good selection.

I'm waiting for delivery of a set of SE Fatshotz for my RK. I like the ability to tune the sound and torque to my liking. I went with the SE because of the Open end cap aesthetics. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of buying pipes only to find It too loud or not like the sound. I can always mellow the tone by putting a closed end cap inside hidden out of view like this pic or remove disks to quiet it down or add disks to make it louder:

Nightsticks1-1.jpg

I'm waiting for delivery of a set of SE Fatshotz for my RK. I like the ability to tune the sound and torque to my liking. I went with the SE because of the Open end cap aesthetics. I can always mellow the tone by putting a closed end cap inside hidden out of view like this pic:

Nightsticks1-1.jpg

Looks great from this angle! Any side shots of it? I heard that SuperTrapp makes some of the SE pipes . . . it looks like a SuperTrapp w/the disks and all . . . how do you like the sound? Chrome quality there were we'd expect it?

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Back