free website stats program Some lights are out- what to replace? | Harley Davidson Forums

Some lights are out- what to replace?

RideTheLightning

Hey guys,

My front right indicator is out unless I press the indicator button, then it blinks. Also, my two rear indicators are like this as well. Do I need to replace these entire assemblies or just the bulbs?

Thanks.

Most likely cause is bad bulbs...they have been working for over 8 years, check them one at a time, cleaning the sockets and using dielectric grease to limit corrosion of the contact. Did they ALL go out suddenly, or has this been getting worse or after some work was done to the signaling lamps/wiring/fuse block area?

Unless you have added additional modules to your rear lighting system then the rear indicators only work when the indicators are flashing
the front indicators have a dual filament bulb a low wattage filament that is on all the time and a high wattage filament that flashes when the indicator button is pressed
i would assume that the low wattage filament is bust
you will need to replace the bulb
remove the lens cover, press in on the bulb and turn 1/4 turn anti clockwise and release pressure and bulb should ease out
there are 2 posts on the metal part of the bulb these are at different heights take note of which way round they are as the bulb only fits the correct way round so that the contacts line up for the correct filaments

Brian

Hey guys,

My front right indicator is out unless I press the indicator button, then it blinks. Also, my two rear indicators are like this as well. Do I need to replace these entire assemblies or just the bulbs?

Thanks.

Bulbs. Buy a handful of each type your bike uses. They are not that robust and break (filaments).

TQ

Most likely cause is bad bulbs...they have been working for over 8 years, check them one at a time, cleaning the sockets and using dielectric grease to limit corrosion of the contact. Did they ALL go out suddenly, or has this been getting worse or after some work was done to the signaling lamps/wiring/fuse block area?
Only recent work was that the windscreen got adjusted.

Unless you have added additional modules to your rear lighting system then the rear indicators only work when the indicators are flashing
the front indicators have a dual filament bulb a low wattage filament that is on all the time and a high wattage filament that flashes when the indicator button is pressed
i would assume that the low wattage filament is bust
you will need to replace the bulb
remove the lens cover, press in on the bulb and turn 1/4 turn anti clockwise and release pressure and bulb should ease out
there are 2 posts on the metal part of the bulb these are at different heights take note of which way round they are as the bulb only fits the correct way round so that the contacts line up for the correct filaments

Brian
I wasn't sure about the bolded part. I guess I never noticed. I will replace the bulbs.

Bulbs. Buy a handful of each type your bike uses. They are not that robust and break (filaments).

TQ
Will do.

Use #1157 bulbs in the front and #1034 in the rear.You can use #1156 in the rear but they are more succeptible to burning out.The 1034 has a heavier filament and a larger voltage range.
Thanks for the tips.

Back