free website stats program Some days nothing goes right! | Harley Davidson Forums

Some days nothing goes right!

Crazyfrog

Had alot of rain here lately, so I decided it was time to do some maitenance. I was not quite due for fluid changes, but if you can't ride, you might as well be doing something to the bike...........

Stopped and picked up oil, filter, Spectro tranny 6 speed, and formula+ primary oil. While I was there, I decided to go ahead and get the Kuryakyn grips I've been wanting.

Day 1) Went for a ride around town to warm up the bike. Came home, got the tools out and was ready to drain. For some reason I decided to take the filter out of the box. It was not wrapped in celophane, had a dent on the bottom, and no gasket! Back in the house, and tommorow another trip to the bike shop!

Day 2) Came home with a good filter. Went for a ride, drained all 3 holes, and realized I have lost my #27 torx socket. Can't get the cover off, and it's past closing time for stores.

Day 3) Stopped and got a new socket, took off cover, went to put drain plug back in and see that the O ring is ripped. Back to the hardware store!
Finished everything off, and decided to tackle the grips. Easy job, did the throttle side 1st, removed the left side without breaking or tearing, cleaned the bars, and opened the glue. It was dried up hard as a rock!
Now its off to the auto parts store for some new glue. Spent $4.00 on a tube, that when I got home found that it was dried up too!!!!!

At this point I'm tired of driving around to get stuff. It's a good thing I have a case of beer in the fridge. I bet it won't let me down! :cheers

always good to keep a case of beer cold for the bad days
as i am far away from the nearest supplier of service components for my bikes i always have a spare set on the shelf
as a boy scout be prepared was the motto
as an infantry soldier be prepared was the way of life
old habits die hard and always have at least i spare case of beer just in case

Brian

Ha-ha...notice the timing over 3 days...that is why before I tackle a job I use that 3 day approach...and pay very close attention to preparations (workspace, TOOLS, etc.) and consumables (filters, gaskets & O-rings on hand...) that $40 primary cover gasket may not get used, but thats why you have Saturday & Sunday...to bring back stuff you did not need. The beers are NOT optional and are a vital part of those consumables and are always...uhh...ready to be "tapped" !!! :small3d015:

Last edited:
Posted at 4:00, had a cold one, got called out to work at 4:30!

Just got home at 8:45 and laid the law down.....NO ONE ANSWER THE PHONE!!!!!!!

I think I'll set my lawn chair in the garage, right next to the fridge!

And everything I had to go buy, I bought 2 of!

Smitty, the whole time I was going thru this, I kept thinking the same thought....
"I wish I lived close to Smitty, He'd have what I need!!!"

Hope life is treatin ya well!

Do not drink myself.
I try to always have a filter of each bike,Primary gaskets, oil and primary lube and 3 new O rings taped to filter box in garage at all times. That way I am always ready.
But because of a day like yours I have also added a spare set of plugs. My bad day was on a Sunday just before leaving on a 200 mile trip , for some reason I decided to check plugs that did not need checking. I dropped one and cracked it. I live in the country were do you find plugs late on a Sunday?.
Got the mess strightened out but , plugs end up costing me about 30 bucks for some will fit aftermarket and a long drive to get them.
Days like that I wonder if drinking might not be a good idea.
Crazyforg it happens to us all from time to time.
And a number 27 torx is like a 1/2 combo wrench you can have 5 of them but can't find it when you need it.

I'm glad to see that my 1/2 inch wrenches are not the only ones with legs! I can never find one.

Back