free website stats program Solo Rack Bag | Harley Davidson Forums

Solo Rack Bag

bwalsh22

One of the other posts had me thinking about this. I have a mothers solo rack on my Street Bob, no plans to go 2-up anytime soon and been thinking about a bag that I can use on the rack, but almost every bag requires a sissy bar, which I may put on eventually, but not yet.

Anyone out there have any recommendations for what they use. The only one that I have found that looks like it will work is bikersfriend.com, but it is pretty pricey and not 100% sold on it.

I want to make sure I get one that can hold my Gym clothes sufficiently and make sure that the straps and stuff won't mess up my paint. If anyone has any pics please post too.

I was checking that out too, but I'm not very pleased by the way it attaches.

I'm looking at the kuryakyn tombstone bag.

Product Page

I'm hoping that will get me through the day trips & such, I'm not sure if that will attach without a sissy bar though.

I'm also looking at a bag by saddlemen for the longer trips.
Here's the part number for the bag I think I want.
3515-0049 , it's on page 86 of the drag specialties fatbook. Hopefully this will be the website.
Drag Specialties :: Luggage > Saddlemen Sissy Bar Bags > FASTBACK TOURING BAGS

I'm also thinking I might get 2 different saddlemen bags, just because they are a little less pricey, but I would like to see something they make first, (that's my hold up so far). I know kuryakyn makes good stuff, and I have seen some of their other bags, (just not the particular one I'm looking at), but if I can get 2 quality bags for less, I'm all for it. :D Let us know how you go here please. :D Good luck!

I have the Grantour bag system from Kuryakyn. It is mounted on my Motherwell rack with a solo seat and no sissy bar.
Here it is as I have it set-up for my Arizona to Edmonton run at the end of April.
I used the strap that is supposed to go around a sissy bar to hold my Pelican case. Then put the provided backrest in front of the pelican. I have my winter jacket rolled on top of the pelican case. But a sleeping bag would be perfect there as well. I had to add a webbed belt to the sissy bar starp in order to snug down the pelican tight.
IMG_4020.jpg

This bag would be a little big for daytripping. I would suggest a smaller version of the grantour.

Thanks Bigfoot, I like that set up. I agree with you about the size for daytrips & such, but I'm looking at the Tombstone for that. I appreciate you sharing the pic.

Thanks Bigfoot, this does look a bit much for my needs.

Thanks Joy, the ones you pointed out look to need a sissy bar, but I did look a bit closer at the Kuryakyn Roll Bag and Nelson-Rigg 200/250, looks like the roll bags are the way to go, probably go with the Nelson Rigg from the looks of things. I'll keep you posted, once I decide and get the clearance to buy (just got a new jacket, which cost me the jacket plus stuff for the wife, so have to account for wife needs when I buy motorcycle stuff) :)

I found a real nice bag at the local "crotch rocket bike emporium" that listed for a "crotch rocket rear finder" Measured 11"w 11"tall & 6" thick. I have it mounted to my Mother Well finder rack and it fits perfect, When i need a larger bag i just lay my bad man's SAC travel bag on it's back, put the carrying handle under the the rack before i attach the upper seat screw and wrap the tie down straps around the rear turn signal mounting stems. Rides so well i never know it's there.
But day tripping the "crotch rocket bag ( found several that work fine) " gets the call.

Thanks Bigfoot, this does look a bit much for my needs.

Thanks Joy, the ones you pointed out look to need a sissy bar, but I did look a bit closer at the Kuryakyn Roll Bag and Nelson-Rigg 200/250, looks like the roll bags are the way to go, probably go with the Nelson Rigg from the looks of things. I'll keep you posted, once I decide and get the clearance to buy (just got a new jacket, which cost me the jacket plus stuff for the wife, so have to account for wife needs when I buy motorcycle stuff) :)
Good move, keeping the wife happy. We all know the rule, 'if she's happy, you're happy.'. :D

the bride and I went on a 10 day trip down Hyw 101 last year, bought a cheap leather copy of a T bag, put it on the the rack on my Sportster and used an elastic "spider" to attach as we bought things it expanded to the volume. We are not fashion riders, no chrome, just performance upgrades

Now looking for a Motherwell rack for my Dyna will use the same technique as last year for upcoming trips, although we now have a real T bag,

As to tie down points we use chrome cable ties attache them to any avail bolt, very versatile.

Back