free website stats program solid noise at cam cover after bike running for 10 minutes | Harley Davidson Forums

solid noise at cam cover after bike running for 10 minutes

help.this is a 1993 touring model evolution motor [stock] I took the lifter housing and cam cover to get it crome,and the heads to sand blust. when I put it back and start the bike it run fine, but after the bike runs for about 10 minutes the bike stared making this solid noise on the cam cover side and if i open the trotter it stops but at idle the noise came back.

this is what I have check so far.
the oil pressure is 32lbs at 2000 rpm and 20lbs. at idle.
took lifter apart and they look o.k. clerance is .003''between housing and lifters.
I took the valve covers off and started the bike and notice there was no oil pressure,at the rockers the oil was camming out bery slow no splashing at the valves.
can a stickit valve cause this noise?

HOPE when you are running the bike for 10 minutes you mean out on the road.... IF NOT, and Not using a Big Fan blowing from the right front corner of bike Thru the exhaust and Heads to cool while running and Not moving...

The noise you hear would be the lifters Not pumping up with oil or Loosing the oil at idle. Too hot of oil and the lack of sufficent pressure WILL make them Noisy.... What oil are you using in the bike? outside temps in your area while performing the test runs or were they done in a garage with or without a Big Fan?

Proof being Lifters to me, is when you raise the idle the lifter noise stops..Oil pressure increases and lifter pump up.
Klanking tells me That the .003 Looseness Might be the problem on your EVO.
Oil goiing around the lifters and Not into them.

The rockers get Pumped oil Thru the pushrods and Low oil in the lifter may not supply enough oil fot the top end.

Try running the bike OUT on the road and see IF that makes a difference as I feel you May have been running it tooooooo long and Over heated, causing oil to become tooooo thin.

How many miles on this bike? Did the noise JUST start when you did the replacement of part to chrome?

get back here with the information I need for further answers from me.

signed....BUBBIE

Did the breather gear thrust washer get put back on?

Breez,

Do you know IF .003 is too much clearance here?

IT could just be One lifter not working properly...If 20 lbs is there at an Idle, the lifter should pump up. but doing so with 32# and no noise?

signed....BUBBIE

Breez,

Do you know IF .003 is too much clearance here?

IT could just be One lifter not working properly...If 20 lbs is there at an Idle, the lifter should pump up. but doing so with 32# and no noise?

signed....BUBBIE

S.M. says "replace if (tappet) clearance exceeds .003", so it's close, but in spec.

Since the lifter bore is less than 1" as a machinist the rule for clearence is .001 per 1" up to 3". So I would think that .003 is sloppy. I guess if you check the manuf. specs. it could be that much, but for me the fit would be like socks on a rooster, too loose.

help.this is a 1993 touring model evolution motor [stock] I took the lifter housing and cam cover to get it crome,and the heads to sand blust. when I put it back and start the bike it run fine, but after the bike runs for about 10 minutes the bike stared making this solid noise on the cam cover side and if i open the trotter it stops but at idle the noise came back.

this is what I have check so far.
the oil pressure is 32lbs at 2000 rpm and 20lbs. at idle.
took lifter apart and they look o.k. clerance is .003''between housing and lifters.
I took the valve covers off and started the bike and notice there was no oil pressure,at the rockers the oil was camming out bery slow no splashing at the valves.
can a stickit valve cause this noise?
Check the cam and breather end play after chroming the nose cone cover

thanks for your fast reply Bubbie,
I am using 20-50 harley oil temperature is about 70
I rode the bike on the road for about 20 minutes and when I came to stop I notice the noise.
I let it cool off for few hours and started it againg and same thing happen I did used a big fan all the time.
bike have about 55k
the noise was not there before I took it appart.
I am replacing the lifters and housing I will let you know what happens it will take me about two weeks to get them.

Are you using the stock push rods Or adjustable ones.Not sure what effect would be if the stock push rods were placed in wrong locations.They are colored coded for different lengths and proper location.
tourbox

Back