free website stats program Softening front folks. | Harley Davidson Forums

Softening front folks.

SeaRider04

Is there a way to adjust front folks to make them "softer" a bit?. I can push it up/down (not too easily) at stop and when braking but when passing a "hump" on highway, it's seem like it hits hard and no "shock absorbing" feeling on the front, the rear feel alright though.

You can change the oil in the forks but not knowing what is in there now, it's hard to make a recommendation.

This will get you in the right direction once you change it. Usually the factory oil is 5 wt. Yours may have been upgraded to a heavier oil at some point. I would recommend the 10 wt oil and go from there.

Fork Oil Weights - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider, I honestly donot know what wieght of folk oil being in there, the bike only have 19K miles on it and the recommendation is every 20K, I may have the factory filled oil in there.

One more question, I see two "drain screws" at the bottom back of front folks but donot see where the "fill plugs" are.

Drains in the bottom back of the leg, top of the fork tube is the big nut that you fill them through. Just be careful when removing them , If the bike is on a lift there will be little spring tension on them on some bikes but if it's not, you are in for a surprise.....BOING! :D

Also remove the top nut and the oil will drain better.

I've never heard of air in forks at all:52: Air shocks, but not air forks???:eam

Some of the older touring bikes in the 70-90's had air assist and other models like the FXR had the same setup.
It used the handle bars for the air resovour and had an anti dive valve that worked when you applied the brakes to limit the amount of air cushion available by dividing the system in half. It prevented excessive front end dive.
The fill valves were located in the bar end under a removable grip and on others a fill valve on the side of the steering neck is where you would adjust the pressure.
It's possible to install it on the newer bikes too with the addition of the necessary fittings and such, runs around $70 or so for the parts.

Wow!:57: I learned something new today Thank!:bigsmiley12:

Back