free website stats program Softail starter problem(s) | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail starter problem(s)

rollerball

Anyone had this problem....
I have a aftermarket starter, a huge 2 amp'er with a button on the back of the solenoid that can bipass the starter button on the handlebar. It actually bipasses the solenoid because I act as the solenoid by pushing the button. I was able to use the starter switch only for the first few days and now, the only way to start it is with the button. After about a year of this, I decided to look into the switch which is very sanitary, connected correctly, and draws enough juice, so I opened up the solenoid to clean the contacts and reassembled. Now the starter whirls but does not turn the engine.
Any ideas out there?

Just a guess and I may be wrong but I don't think your actually bypassing the mechanics of the solenoid using the button on the starter. If you were, the throw on the button you were pushing would have to be over an inch. I would think the button is only applying 12 volts to the solenoid windings thereby bypassing only any external wiring and switches going TO your starter. A good diagnostic tool that only tells you if problem is in the starter itself or external to starter.

The solenoid button mechanically operates the solenoid which connects the contacts to spin the starter. It eliminates the bike wiring as a source of a problem completely. The only parts that are being used when you push the solenoid button are the contacts in the solenoid which then connect the starter to the POS cable from the battery.

Check out the starter relay as the source of your bike starting problem. They are a cheap item and you could just replace it.

StarterRelay.jpg

Glider, are you saying when you push the cheater button,, the electric solenoid coil is no longer pulling in the plunger which throws the pinion into the ring gear and now your performing that with the button.? I thought the button on the starter was purely electrical and energized the solenoid coil?

Bear in mind I am looking at a parts view of an 2009 and not a 1997. So it must be different on the early bikes?

Back