free website stats program Softail Standard Windshield... | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Standard Windshield...

Burgundy9

I know the windsheild dabate has gone on and on.. I've read every post.

I started out trying an aftermarket handle bar mounted sheild. I found out what buffetting really was. It was beyond description and I sent that sheild back immediately.

I then researched MoCo shields, Windvest, recurves, deflectors, Jacks Flaps, etc. The thought of sinking almost five bills into a MoCo shield terrified me; expecially with so many buffetting tales when installed on the FX front end. I ended up with a quick release Harley sheild that was built for a Deuce. I got it used and for a good deal (Thanks TommyLT).

I installed the sheild and waited for the snow/ice to melt. Early testing proved to be miles better than the handlebar mounted shield. I still felt some buffetting above 55 mph. More research.... Jacks Flaps vs. Memphis Shades Lowers. I'm not a vest guy (jmho) so I figured I'd give the lowers a shot.

I was not thrilled with the thought of installing lowers, but when they came in and I mounted them they really complement the bike well. I went with black to match to the paint.

Took it out for an extended test. I messed with angles of the lowers a bit and found the sweet spot. Wow, I can't believe the difference. I feel stupid for worrying about the "look". The ride is so much more peaceful. I can hear things that I couldn't before. Bring on the Summer Bugs and Bees!!!

Say what you want about shields. I'll never look back.

I've been contemplating getting a windshield also-for cooler weather and taking trips. We have similar bikes. How about posting some pic's? Part numbers? Just curious-Thanks in advance.

The shield is Harley Quick Release Detachable Compact Windshield (smoked), part no. 57160-05

The lowers are Memphis Shades Gradient Black, MEP5811. The lower mounts are Memphis Shades.

I'll write up Tom in the buyers/sellers section. He's a great guy.
shield.jpg

I just installed a wind-vest 14" on my 2011FLSTFB yesterday, looks GREAT! i'm still fine tuning the angle to find the sweet spot, it seems to work well.

Last edited:
Not having ridden for over 20 years I forgot about the wind. And it is cold in the winter here. So I researched a windshield for my 89 springer and found one on e-bay that was new old stock Harley and had all the hardware for attaching it. Put it on yesterday and will try it out tomorrow. It really doesn't look that bad either, and I got it for 113.00. Also got a luggage rack for 25 bucks from the same dealer.

Back