free website stats program Softail rear brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail rear brakes

Bikergeek

I have a '08 Heritage with V&H Big Shots Staggered pipes and I would like to know how to access the bolts that hold the rear caliper in place. I want to remove and lift the caliper out of position to replace the pads and clean the caliper pistons before installing the new pads.

I cannot find the right combination of tools including the torx T-40 socket and get in there without removing the pipes. My ratchet and T-40 socket are too long and can't get in there without hitting the pipes. Anyone have a working plan and the right tools I need to do the job. I tried jacking up the bike on my cycle lift but the rear suspension didn't drop. HELP!

Re: Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Softail)

Here are a few pics of what might work for your situation. Using a 1/4" drive
torx bit with a 1/4" breaker bar gives me enough room to get to the bolt with my pipes in place but I am not running the same pipes as you but I think it should work for you. I had to switch the torx bits from a 3/8" socket to the 1/4" drive socket to make a custom one as I am not sure where you can find a 1/4" drive T40 socket.

If you need even more room you could try using the 1/4" torx socket with a long 1/4" wrench (six point only -12 point wrench will more than likely strip out) but being as tight as the bolts are that may not be the best option.

The only way I see to torque the caliper bolts to spec is to pull the exhaust but if you are comfortable tightening them by hand this should do the trick.

Attachments

• On bolt 1.jpg
    On bolt 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 43
  • wrench with socket.jpg
    wrench with socket.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Breaker bar.jpg
    Breaker bar.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 38
  • on bolt 2.jpg
    on bolt 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 40
Re: Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Softail)

Here are a few pics of what might work for your situation. Using a 1/4" drive
torx bit with a 1/4" breaker bar gives me enough room to get to the bolt with my pipes in place but I am not running the same pipes as you but I think it should work for you. I had to switch the torx bits from a 3/8" socket to the 1/4" drive socket to make a custom one as I am not sure where you can find a 1/4" drive T40 socket.

If you need even more room you could try using the 1/4" torx socket with a long 1/4" wrench (six point only -12 point wrench will more than likely strip out) but being as tight as the bolts are that may not be the best option.

The only way I see to torque the caliper bolts to spec is to pull the exhaust but if you are comfortable tightening them by hand this should do the trick.

TripleJ,

Looks like a possible option. I will see if I have a wrench that will slip over the 3/8" Torx socket and give it a try.

TripleJ,

OK, found an old fashion Sears 1/4" ratchet style wrench with black plastic edges and my 3/8" Torx T-40 bit slipped into the wrench. The combination just barely fit between the Torx bolt and the pipes. With enough manuvering and squeezing I was able to get the two bolts off. The rear brake job is done using HD OEM brake pads.

Your pictures put the whole thing together for me. Thanks for your assistance.

Back