free website stats program Softail fuel light | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail fuel light

I have an 05 night train, and I just replaced the stock fuel gauge with an H-D led gauge. I believe that I hooked it up right, and it seems to work, but, now I have a light on in my dash that looks like a fuel pump. I can't find my owner's manual and I need to know what it means.

For some reason the speed-o module thinks your low on fuel and turned on the low fuel indicator lamp..

The stock gauge had an amber light for low fuel on the gauge. Are you telling me that there is a second low fuel light on the dash?

Well on my '09 speed-o panel I have a amber light that looks like a fuel pump (even has the hose on side) that glows when I have exactly 30 miles plus 1 gallon of fuel to go. They call it a low fuel light even though I am not really low on fuel.

At 30 miles to go, the amber fuel pump lamp glows and the speedo readout counts down from 30 miles. Then at 10 miles to "0" miles it changes from numerical miles left, to just read "Low Fuel". Then if you go 10 more miles (which should be ZERO), I have exactly 1 more gallon of fuel left in my tank. So,,,, when the amber light comes on I actually have about 65 miles to empty. Go figure.

That's the best they could come up with? You need a flow chart and a calculator just to know how far you can ride.
Someday I will calibrate it to something more realistic.

Just curious.. Was this kit you installed, made BY HD for your specific model and Year bike? Because if it was I would think it should be turn key with no hooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back