free website stats program softail forward controls extension | Harley Davidson Forums

softail forward controls extension

SE6A

Good morning all, has anyone had any experience with fitting forward control extensions to a older (1999) softail standard.
I have seen various makes on e bay, virtually all from the USA!
I am 6ft 2ins, and feel I just need to stretch my legs a bit more, would two inch ones be suitable, or has anyone had longer reach ones?
any advice appreciated!

Good morning all, has anyone had any experience with fitting forward control extensions to a older (1999) softail standard.
I have seen various makes on e bay, virtually all from the USA! I am 6ft 2ins, and feel I just need to stretch my legs a bit more, would two inch ones be suitable, or has anyone had longer reach ones? any advice appreciated!

JMHO but if you are going to do it, go with 3" extensions. I am just under 6' and find 3" works. You may have to extend your rear brake line; the section from the master cylinder to the stop light fitting. You may be able to bend the metal line, carefully, to avoid replacement but replacing with a steel braided flexible line is a better way to go IMHO. You will have to bleed the brakes but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace brake fluid anyway.:s

I fitted the hd extended reach forward control kit to my 1992 softail custom as it is an hd kit every nut bolt washer and extended brake pipe was in the kit as it moves the rear master cylinder forward and keeps the same brake rod some other kits may use the original master cylinder location and a longer rod
I am a wee guy at 5ft 10" and the hd extended reach kit lets me stretch out just fine
Copied this from jersey hd website

49163-91

Extends the rider control pegs a full 3" forward of their stock position. This comprehensive kit includes black powder-coated shifter and brake mounting plates, chrome shift rod, chrome shift rod lever, rear brake hose, all necessary hardware, and installation instructions. This kit requires reuse of stock, Original Equipment footpegs, brake pedal, and shifter lever.

EXTENDED REACH FORWARD CONTROL
Fits late '87-'99 FXSTS and FXSTC models (will not fit when Softail® Dual Fishtail Exhaust System P/N 65281-92B or Dual Exhaust System P/N 65281-96 is installed). Note : Installation of engine guard, when Forward Control Kit is installed, requires FLSTC Engine Guard P/N 49004-90 and Adapter Bracket Kit P/N 49164-93 listed below.

£163.32

Brian

I fitted the hd extended reach forward control kit to my 1992 softail custom as it is an hd kit every nut bolt washer and extended brake pipe was in the kit as it moves the rear master cylinder forward and keeps the same brake rod some other kits may use the original master cylinder location and a longer rod
I am a wee guy at 5ft 10" and the hd extended reach kit lets me stretch out just fine
Copied this from jersey hd website

49163-91

Extends the rider control pegs a full 3" forward of their stock position. This comprehensive kit includes black powder-coated shifter and brake mounting plates, chrome shift rod, chrome shift rod lever, rear brake hose, all necessary hardware, and installation instructions. This kit requires reuse of stock, Original Equipment footpegs, brake pedal, and shifter lever.

EXTENDED REACH FORWARD CONTROL
Fits late '87-'99 FXSTS and FXSTC models (will not fit when Softail® Dual Fishtail Exhaust System P/N 65281-92B or Dual Exhaust System P/N 65281-96 is installed). Note : Installation of engine guard, when Forward Control Kit is installed, requires FLSTC Engine Guard P/N 49004-90 and Adapter Bracket Kit P/N 49164-93 listed below.

£163.32

Brian

Thanks Brian, all avenues to consider!...I would like to keep the MC in its original place as I just bought a new hose etc!

Thanks Brian, all avenues to consider!...I would like to keep the MC in its original place as I just bought a new hose etc!

I think it would be a fairly simple process to get a 3" straight extension made to fit from the relocated mc to the new brake hose anywhere that makes up brake pipes should be able to create a wee adapter for you most car garages should have all the stuff needed to make the wee pipe

Brian

Back