free website stats program Soft tail tranny fluid level | Harley Davidson Forums

Soft tail tranny fluid level

BOWHIKER

I decided after i went home for luch today , 3 miles one way , to check transmission fluid level . I parked in the garage went in ate and came out about 35 minutes later . Bike on jiffy stand pulled the plug wiped it off and sat it on the threads pulled it out and it was at the full mark . Since this is considered cold check do you think it's a little over full ? If need be i can suck a little out with a sringe and hose . I also checked what i believe to be the breather hose for the tranny not sure if it is or not . It's in front of the rear tire and can be seen on the jiffy stand side and it's dry .

Always check fluids at full operating temps.

The trans vent is usually an inverted "J" between the primary housing and the trans. What you saw forward of the wheel is usually the battery and the tank vents, on some bikes a fuel overflow vent.

Just my opinion here...

I wouldn't take any fluid out of the trany. I have found that if a little over-full the trany will blow excess lube out the top rubber hose air vent usually at a cruise speed... this has happened to me before and on one bike putting it on the full mark just wouldn't work as the trany blew out oil until it found IT'S level IT called full... Level needs NOT to be that exact here.

should be no problem!

Ride and enjoy!

signed....BUBBIE

Just my opinion here...

I wouldn't take any fluid out of the trany. I have found that if a little over-full the trany will blow excess lube out the top rubber hose air vent usually at a cruise speed... this has happened to me before and on one bike putting it on the full mark just wouldn't work as the trany blew out oil until it found IT'S level IT called full... Level needs NOT to be that exact here.

should be no problem!

Ride and enjoy!

signed....BUBBIE

Ditto that Bubbie my 97 FLHT was the same way it always found a happy level, Jack

Yeah, I can relate to the overfill of the tranny...recently did a "spring check up," including oil change, tranny fluid, and primary, plus filters and plugs....bike runs great, but about a week later, I noticed an oil leak that appeared to be coming out of the primary oil drain plug; I've had a few fellow HOG owners check out my bike, and the initial diagnosis is that the tranny is getting rid of excess oil by blowing it out the tube, which is apparently splashing on the other side of the primary and running off of it, so to the casual observer, it would appear the primary is leaking. We did the white powder test on the primary, no leaks detected. I checked my tranny dipstick, and sure enough, the oil is at the top of the FULL section.

Should I siphon some out, or just hang in there and let the oil come down to the correct level by gradually blowing out? Thanks for any help.

ED

Yeah, I can relate to the overfill of the tranny...recently did a "spring check up," including oil change, tranny fluid, and primary, plus filters and plugs....bike runs great, but about a week later, I noticed an oil leak that appeared to be coming out of the primary oil drain plug; I've had a few fellow HOG owners check out my bike, and the initial diagnosis is that the tranny is getting rid of excess oil by blowing it out the tube, which is apparently splashing on the other side of the primary and running off of it, so to the casual observer, it would appear the primary is leaking. We did the white powder test on the primary, no leaks detected. I checked my tranny dipstick, and sure enough, the oil is at the top of the FULL section.

Should I siphon some out, or just hang in there and let the oil come down to the correct level by gradually blowing out? Thanks for any help.

ED

If its too full it will puke out the vent hose eventually finding its proper level, My 97 FLHT did this once when I overfilled it

Back