free website stats program snapped compensator nut when trying to remove | Harley Davidson Forums

snapped compensator nut when trying to remove

flyingherot

I have a 1990 FXRP was trying to get compensator nut off and snapped it where the threads begin. Any suggestions? What do I do next? Did it snap the drive shaft too?

If you could be of any help please reply.

thank you,
flyingherot:(

I have a 1990 FXRP was trying to get compensator nut off and snapped it where the threads begin. Any suggestions? What do I do next? Did it snap the drive shaft too?

thank you,

WOW! What where you trying to back it off with? That thing is supposed to be torqued to 150+ ft-lbs.!! It is a 1 1/2" socket. Stout!! I am shocked! Post some pix.

TQ
WAP.gif

Might the direction for loosing, is to turn comp nut clockwise???????

Might the direction for loosing, is to turn comp nut clockwise???????

Comp nut is right handed. Looking at the nut that would be counter clockwise to loosen. Righty tighty, lefty loosey

thank you,

Did the nut split? Or did the crankshaft end break where the threads begin?

If you broke the comp nut that is not good news, I have never seen one break can you post some pics of the damage?

I hear you bro... He put a tremendous amount of torque on that bolt to snap the head off... I've never seen that either, I've seen them fused inside the shaft and had to take a cutt'en torch to blow the head off, that was trickey :)... I bet that was one heck of a snap when she went... The OP must have arms as big as cannons :)...

Agree pictures would speak volumes here:s

Back