free website stats program Smooth Stops | Harley Davidson Forums

Smooth Stops

AZDave

I have been riding for about 15 months with about 4500 miles in the seat now. Is there a gracefull way to come to a slow stop. Most times I am ok but sometime I just seem to go all over the place just before I stop. Any tricks of the road I shoud know?

Ive been riding since 1975 and most of my stops are gracefully but sometimes not so
like hobbit i prefer not to stop but to keep the bike rolling slowly if possible
but wind, angle of road surface road imperfections, the side you got out of bed in the morning can all affect your gracefulness at any time

Brian

Sounds like you probably thinkin about it too much,easier said than done but just ride and try an relax,you'll be fine.

The key word here is smooth, squeeze the brake and use more rear breaking during the last few feet. No "duck feet" landings please, your right foot should be still over the brake pedal, when stopping the last few inches, as you lean the bike slightly left at the complete stop and your left foot leaves the peg/floorboard to steady the bike. It is very important that you instruct the passenger before hand that they sit still and keep eyes centered and forward so they can see the DOT sticker on the back of the pilots helmet (like the pilot, the weight shifts whereever the eyes go, even if it is the passenger).

As others have said be sure to look straight ahead with your head up, if you look down that is usally when you will bobble. I once had a leo pull me over for a rolling stop at stop sign because he didn't see my foot touch the ground. When I explained to him I could stop without putting a foot down he asked me to show him. I came to a dead stop next him and counted to 7 before rolling away, this on a KLR-650 with a 34 inch seat height. My dad make me practice till I could count to 10 without putting a foor down before I could get my cycle license. I must have spent 25 hours practicing in a parking lot before I could pass the 10 second test.

I have a tendency to kick it in neutral as I approach a light and apply the brakes as needed or can kick it back into gear if the light turns green before I get there.

Check out the "Ride Like A Pro" video series, (google it) it is full of good information for slow stops/turning, etc.....:D

Since I was a dirt rider before and really enjoyed trials riding also,I learned to play with the clutch to keep my balance. When ur coming to a stop start braking gently with ur rear brake without locking the rear wheel u gotta plan this ahead though, if not u'll be on the brakes too hard and won't do it smooth.Also, u might want to keep it in gear to slow u down without the rear brake and in case the line starts moving, u can got right away without stopping.

Back