free website stats program Smellin hot tranny oil. | Harley Davidson Forums

Smellin hot tranny oil.

rollo3076

I changed trans oil the other day and it looked like a little seepage from the plug. Changed the o ring and taped the threads, degreased the bottom of the bike and sprayed it off, but I am still smelling the trans oil. Do I need to check bolts on the gear case for tightness? Do they vibrate loose or do they use loc tite on them from the factory? Just a question, looking for any info. This is where I learn all my diy stuff. Thanks guys, for a great forum.

2008 egc
tru duals

If you're not seeing any signs of a leak I wouldn't bother with the bolts. Sometimes the residue on the plate going across the frame may be causing the smell. If it still has oil there after your cleaning. Recheck the drain plug for drips also.
tourbox

I always detect a very slight smell after any fluid change. Like tourbox said, it's inevitable that small quantities will end up where they don't belong and it's usually someplace that gets hot and produces the smell. Never lasts very long though.

I even get a smell after washing and detailing the bike - Pledge definitely gives off a bit of an odor when it's heated up!

Is it possible some lube dripped on the under side of the exhaust pipe while you were ridding, prior to fixing the leak and washing?

Until I see the drops on the floor or the level decrease, I am riding it.

Probably smelling it from the vent tube after it gets hot. If there's no leaks and the fluid level is good, no worries.

VENT TUBE Answers have it In My Book.

I have aways found my tyranny's spits out a little oil vapor until tyranny Reaches it's own Full level. IF Only an once or two over OR the proper amount called out for, I have found that the tyranny will expel out of the vent tube...

Tyrannies will find their own Level if over filled. (vent tube)

I use Redline ShockProof Heavy and believe me,,,,IF it is a touch over full (according to the Tyranny not the dip stick) I DO Smell it...:smell

I do believe you will not smell it after a few Long rides... Let us know...

signed....BUBBIE

VENT TUBE Answers have it In My Book.

I have aways found my tyranny's spits out a little oil vapor until tyranny Reaches it's own Full level. IF Only an once or two over OR the proper amount called out for, I have found that the tyranny will expel out of the vent tube...

Tyrannies will find their own Level if over filled. (vent tube)

I use Redline ShockProof Heavy and believe me,,,,IF it is a touch over full (according to the Tyranny not the dip stick) I DO Smell it...:smell

I do believe you will not smell it after a few Long rides... Let us know...

signed....BUBBIE
Hey guys, the day after I posted, the smell was really strong so I put it on the jack and crawl all around under it til I found the problem. There were 2 bolts missing out of the trans side plate. Just below the chrome cover that says six speed. Those 2 bolts also support the exhaust bracket. I'm guessing the exhaust just vibrated them out. I'm hoping thats where my seepage is, never seen any come out like that before. Had to order 2 new ones from dealer because they dont stock stuff like that( ??). When I put them back in, do I use the blue locktite? Thanks for all your help. I REALLY depend on you guys because it is too expensive to take your ride to the dealer everytime something doesn't sound or feel right. And, I kinda like doing it myself anyway. thanks again.

LEARNIN' SOMETHIN' NEW EVERYDAY!!!

If i were in your position i would use some blue loctite on the bolts and place the bolts on the inspect regularly list

Brian

Back