free website stats program Small Engine Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Small Engine Question

Steve Di.

I have a question for you engine gurus. I own a Genrac standby generator that is powered by a one cylinder, natural gas fueled engine. I just changed the oil and filter and was shocked when charged $10 for the new oil filter.

I have been searching for a Fram or STP replacement filter but haven't been able to locate a list where I can cross reference the Genrac part number to a replacement part number. I was told by one mechanic that if the threads of the replacement filter should fit the generator's engine, it would be OK to use the filter. That seems like a stretch to me.

Would a replacement filter that is physically the same size as my Genrac filter be OK to use?

Thank you in advance.

Exactly! That is why I paid the $10.00 and I am unwilling to experiment with other filters without a cross reference.

What's the size of the gen and the oil filter part number?

PH3614 and PH4967 cross to the generac oil filter 070185 but I would stay with the manufacturers brand myself.

Glider is right on (as usual)-Fram will sell you a PH8A which will fit a Ford Pickup (and others), and then sell you that same Filter for a Diesel engine in a Construction Backhoe (Case 580)-same micron efficiency specification? Absolutely not.

Sometimes Dealers will have a sale on Oil and Filters, or you can find an on-line source, but I would stick to the originals which is the reason I use Harley Filters (and they are over priced)-

The generator is a Generac Guardian 05243 16KW system. The Generac oil filter part number is 07185B, which is the filter Glider had in his post.

I saw a post on the oil filter survey thread where they recommended avoiding Fram! :( I have been using Fram filters on my trucks for years and am now considering switching to the Mobil filter.

Based on what I have been reading, on this thread and others, I will stay with the Genrac filter.

Thank you all for the replies.

Last edited:
Where engines are concerned, Generac doesn't make anything. The engines they use as well as all of the attachments are purchased thru suppliers. When you buy stuff like filters and engine parts from Generac, you are only buying the original mfgrs. part in a Generac box.
Find out whose engine you have,(Briggs, Onan, Robin, etc.) and a model number and get the filter from them.

I saw a post on the oil filter survey thread where they recommended avoiding Fram! :( I have been using Fram filters on my trucks for years and am now considering switching to the Mobil filter.

Thank you all for the replies.

Here's a survey response on Fram filters.

Normal filter paper, and a decent amount of it. Cardboard end caps, Little prongy plastic bypass valve. Unconvincing anti-drain back valve. A study in how to make a filter on the cheap.

Wasn't Generac bought by Briggs? I heard that from an outdoor equipment shop when he sold me an oil filter that was in a Briggs & Stratton box (with the Generac part number on it.)

Wasn't Generac bought by Briggs? I heard that from an outdoor equipment shop when he sold me an oil filter that was in a Briggs & Stratton box (with the Generac part number on it.)

Stick to
Generac for the filters unless they changed their filters or way motors work the pressure let off is differernt and higher than anything you used to be able to get for them aftermarket when i worked on them .

Where engines are concerned, Generac doesn't make anything. The engines they use as well as all of the attachments are purchased thru suppliers. When you buy stuff like filters and engine parts from Generac, you are only buying the original mfgrs. part in a Generac box.
Find out whose engine you have,(Briggs, Onan, Robin, etc.) and a model number and get the filter from them.

As far as small engines are concerned --- I agree here. Because even though you might have a Generac gen. or a John Deere mower, it's the engine not the name brand item you have. Find the name of the eng., serial #,model# and any decent parts co. should be able to help. I work on small engines on the side. As far as Fram --- not being snide -- but-- it's your choice. I have used them on every vehicle I've owned, just like my dad and granddad, and have NEVER had a problem one with them.

Back