free website stats program Smacked by a cage, can frame be fixed? | Harley Davidson Forums

Smacked by a cage, can frame be fixed?

acerider_01

Got hit by a car hard enough to break fork (just above axle) in half. Safe to assume that the neck/frame is damaged? Does this mean bike is totaled? or can frame be replaced? Don't know what to do. Might be time to go shoppin' for a new one! Definately Bites!

Good news is no injuries, to me and most importantly, my four year old daughter, who was on the back!! Bike can be fixed or replaced.

Glad to hear all ended up safe. Look for any loose or damaged paint on the frame. Sometimes with a hit like that the frame flexes and look like nothing happened but on further investigation you will notice a slight kink or bend in the frame. Any accident that hit that hard to break your front end has to tweak the frame somehow as that is quite a force. The problem is if it is overlooked the frame will have been weakened and could bust at anytime due to ongoing stress caused by your everyday riding. If the frame is damaged, the bike will be rendered as a write off.

Got hit by a car hard enough to break fork (just above axle) in half. Safe to assume that the neck/frame is damaged? Does this mean bike is totaled? or can frame be replaced? Don't know what to do. Might be time to go shoppin' for a new one! Definately Bites!

There's ways of checking the frame with lasers to determine if it is straight. Depending on the cost of this service and if the insurance will go for it is the question here as to if it gets totaled or not and how bad the damage is.

Glad everyone is OK, the bike can be replaced.

A couple of things that may help you here.
1.Get the bike to a Harley dealer if it isnt already.Insurance companys dont know jack about bikes.First they'll low ball your repair effort by paying you an autobody labor rate vs. what Harley will charge.Then they'll drag there feet if the bikes not at a shop with the threat of storage charges.Most insurance company's will cover up to 2 tows in the event of an accident as well as storage if the vehicle is totaled.
2.If you feel the bike should be totaled do your research as to what your bike is selling for used,not what the book value says its worth.You are entitled to replacement value, not book value.Many times the book value is much lower than what it will cost you to buy the same bike used.You can argue this by simply providing a few adds of this bike being sold.Make sure to add for upgrades.
3.Diminished value:If this bike is repaired you may be subjected to diminished value when you go to sell it or trade it in down the road.That same Harley dealer that fixed the bike may very well low ball you when you go to trade it in because it was in an accident.
4.You have the option to total it even if it is deemed repairable.Insurance company's also recognize salvage value.Harleys have extremely high salvage value.Ever been to an auction and looked at how much they get for a wrecked HD?If you do not want the bike repaired and it appears thats the dirrection your insurance company is taking,simply ask the appraiser to look up what the salvage value is on the bike and suggest you would prefer it be totaled.

Thanks for all the responses. I will definately have bike taken to dealer. Was taken to impound yard, but, I couldn't stand to see it sitting outside, so, I paid tow bill and had it towed to my auto shop, so it could be inside. It does look like there has been major stress to neck area of frame. Short of replacing the frame, I probably don't want it back. Really hurts to say but, probably gonna be looking for a replacement. I realize that I'm supposed to be grateful that I didn't lose any family members, but, it sure feals like I did.

Thanks for all the responses. I will definately have bike taken to dealer. Was taken to impound yard, but, I couldn't stand to see it sitting outside, so, I paid tow bill and had it towed to my auto shop, so it could be inside. It does look like there has been major stress to neck area of frame. Short of replacing the frame, I probably don't want it back. Really hurts to say but, probably gonna be looking for a replacement. I realize that I'm supposed to be grateful that I didn't lose any family members, but, it sure feals like I did.

if you need a hand towing the bike let me know!! send me a pm and I'll give you a number to get ahold of me. I know what your going though and it sux!!, but I got a pick up and trailer so you don't have to pay a tow bill.

Make sure to submit the tow reciepts to your insurance company.They should reimburse you.
Also, depending on fault, you may be entitled to a rental bike of equal value for the time your bike is down.This applies if you are found not at fault an live in a state with a "no fault statue".

Last edited:
Glad the 2 of you are okay. You can always fix or replace the machine. Take care, hope the little one is ready to ride soon. :s

Back