free website stats program slippage in fifth | Harley Davidson Forums

slippage in fifth

lagrato

Banned
flhtp 1988 eg, when i hit fifth gear if under pull nothing but if just liesurally shifting or like no pull on engine, i have a feeling like she slips outta gear for a second, no loss/gain rpm or mph just jerks a bit. i can get back on the gas hard and it quits..... only serious suggestiong please thanks.....

lagrato, I would start with the primary chain adjustment if that is OK check final drive chain, and last would be the comp. sprocket. Hope this helps or a place to start.

lagrato; Late 80's early 90's evo transmissions had some problems with the belt drive front sprocket coming loose, sometimes it would strip the splines. If you get the rear wheel off the ground and put the bike in gear and have someone turn rear wheel back and forth, you should be able to tell if there is too much play or any wobble in the sprocket behind the clutch. I hope your problem is simpler than this.

Breeze3at is right there was a service bulletin on the transmission drive pully coming loose. Ther is a upgrade kit from HD with a new pully and a locking ring. I would do what he suggested and you'll no if that is the problem.

Back