free website stats program Slightly expensive tire and brake change... | Harley Davidson Forums

Slightly expensive tire and brake change...

FLHXSrider

Contributor
Hi,

I changed my back tire and front brake pads this week. I was expecting to pay $292.60CDN ($268.55USD) including shipping and taxes to do it myself. That was $174 for the back tire (Dunlop D402) and $79CDN ($72.50USD) for 2 sets of EBC Organic Kevlar brake pads plus $39.60CDN ($36.34USD) to have the tire changed on the rim and balanced.

I ended up paying $559.75CDN with tax ($549.53USD) for everything including labor. When I got the rear tire changed, they told me my wheel bearings were also shot ($61.90CDN or $56.81USD). Since I was doing the front brakes anyway and had the front tire off, I thought I might as well do the front bearings too, another $$61.90CDN or $56.81USD. When I was having the wheel bearings changed at the dealer, they told me I was also in need of a sprocket bearing ($53.50CDN or $49.10USD). The labor for all the bearings was $110CDN or $100.96USD). While changing the brake pads, I buggered up one of the little springs on the calipers. That meant I had to buy a pin/pad kit (1 bolt which included the spring) for $18.85CDN ($17.30USD).

All in all a lot more expensive than I was expecting ($267.15CDN or $245.19USD, but I'm glad it's done right and I don' have to worry about the bearings later (which I hadn't really thought of when I had changed the tires before). We do love our Harleys but sometimes they're expensive. Could be worse I guess, I don't have kids, hahaha.

FLHTrider08

The more modern wheel bearings do seem to fail at a fairly young age I have changed the wheel bearings on all 3 of my bikes but they are the older tapered bearings which are a pest to set up but do last a long time but as all the bikes are 20 years plus last tyre change on each was the right tim for the bearings

Brian

Based on your experience, how long (miles) can we expect a newer style wheel bearing to last?

There have been threads and posts in the past with failure of wheel bearings failing as low as 8000 miles as I do not have a newer bike I have no direct personal experience of bearing failure only what I have read on this forum and there was some concern by some members that as there is no seal to protect the bearing from the ingress of dirt and water there was the possibility of early failure

Brian

I ran mine until 70k, and they still felt okay.

But it's cheap insurance -- especially if you have your tires/wheels off already.

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't really ride in very dusty, dirty roads however rain and associated dirt splashing and light mud has happened on occasion. Since the guy who changed the tire wasn't a Harley tech, maybe he didn't know about these types of bearings? Sounds like a lot of you have had more mileage than mine but as was said, it's good insurance. Thanks again for everyone's opinion.

Back