free website stats program single fire | Harley Davidson Forums

single fire

dhorne

Last year i installed a dyna 2000 ignition and a single fore coil , i believe my coil is burnt out as i have power to the coil but no spark after changing out the plugs and wires , this is a 96 FXSTC , I have the original coil and I am about to try it , would it do any damage if I tried this ??
thanks in advance
Darren

Last year i installed a dyna 2000 ignition and a single fore coil , i believe my coil is burnt out as i have power to the coil but no spark after changing out the plugs and wires , this is a 96 FXSTC , I have the original coil and I am about to try it , would it do any damage if I tried this ??
thanks in advance
Darren

You probably have a Twin Fire Coil from DynaTec which is actually two coils in one box for ease of mounting. It probably has a hot lead (probably red) and two trigger leads, one for each coil. There may be another wire from the ignition module to the VOES which you may or may not be using. Make sure that the red lead is feeding electricity to the coils. Put your VOM, probe or even a light bulb in-series with the the red lead and coil terminal where the red connects and make sure that the red is hot when you try turning over the engine. If not, the module is probably shot. If that is working, see below.

Not sure if you have the Dyna 2Ki, the Dyna 2000P, Dyna 2000HD or earlier model ignition unit. I think that all of them have the ability to do single fire or dual fire modes. If you are going back to the original coil, that should be dual fire. Your instruction manual from Dynatec should show you how to set up the ignition unit for dual fire. If you don't have the instructions, you can download a pdf at the Dynatec site here:

Dynatek Performance Electronics - Downloads

Let us know what you find.

TQ

Thanks for the info I see through the instucions that there is just a switch to go from Dual to Single , I do have the twin fire coil if this is the problem , I have power to all three wires with the ignition on , I haven't as of yet tried it turning the engine but it makes sense...thanks for your help I will let you know what i find
regards
Darren

Good. So if you try cranking the engine, you have NO spark on either plug wire, correct? If that is the case, switch to dual fire mode, connect the old coil as shown in the instructions for dual fire coil, and try it. You will know if it is your coil at that point. If it is the coil, call Dynatec and see if it is still under warranty.

TQ

Well i connected my dual fire coil and still nothing , going to check every wire on the bike , hoping it is a bad ground connection , there is no lights lighting up in the ignition modual , there is power to the white wire feeding the coil from the battery and it inturns feeds the coil ,but i hope the module is not dead it is a dyna 2000i.thanks. Oh and one thing i did notice before hand is that is seemed to be starting later and later (more cranks) as the day went on then the next day nothing.Normally with that ignition the starter doesnt even get to kick a full turn and she was cranked up and ready to go
Darren

Well i connected my dual fire coil and still nothing , going to check every wire on the bike , hoping it is a bad ground connection , there is no lights lighting up in the ignition modual , there is power to the white wire feeding the coil from the battery and it inturns feeds the coil ,but i hope the module is not dead it is a dyna 2000i.thanks. Oh and one thing i did notice before hand is that is seemed to be starting later and later (more cranks) as the day went on then the next day nothing.Normally with that ignition the starter doesnt even get to kick a full turn and she was cranked up and ready to go
Darren

You said that you installed it last year, right? Is it still under warranty? Should be. Do you have the old ignition system that you can go back to until the replacement arrives?

TQ

The main reason i went to the dyna is that the old ignition failed , hard to get warranty where i live , i would personally have to take it back to the states.Would almost be cheaper for me to get a new one , Are these the symptoms of the ignition failing?
thanks in advance
regards
Darren

Is there a static timing light on the ignition module? Is it working? Also, did you say above that you were getting charging voltage to the coil and also intermittent voltage to the signal terminals as the engine turns over? If either of these are not working, then it would suggest that the module is fried (I assume the module is located in the nose cone?). I have a Spyke ignition system and coil on my little bike, and I also had to change out the module after a few years. Kinda hot in there!

TQ

yes I have the module in the nose cone , didnt think or know it could go anywhere else , there are lights on the dyna1000i there is a red and a VOS both of them dont work , also there is power to the coil and it despenses to the other two termanils on the single fire coil but nothing changes when the bike is turning over , I believe it is fried ................thanks TQ it is guys like you that save guys like me money............. good work

De nada!

Here is some info on the Spyke stuff for comparison against the Dynatek stuff in case you need to replace your current system. As I said, I have the ignition and coil system on my '91 Dyna, although it is an older version (Super Comp single fire). Looks like the new Spyke stuff has moved the smart stuff out of the nose cone and just left the optics in there.

Spyke, Inc. Home and Spyke Inc. AIS and Super Comp Ignitions

TQ

Back