free website stats program Shovelhead instant smoke both cylinders | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovelhead instant smoke both cylinders

76 Shovelhead _ 93ci

Left gas petcock open position all night causing a fuel flooded engine. Fired up but missing bad. Tried to drive the plugs clean but started blowing gas out of front cylinder exhaust pipe. Pulled back inside garage, removed and cleaned plugs. with plugs out front cylinder a little warm and rear cylinder hot, blew compressed air into spark plug holes and up both exhaust pipes. was at work so tried to drive home and engine started running very rough about half way home popping flames out exhaust. Replaced plugs and now it runs great again but smokes like crazy. Smoke is worst when engine rpm is dropping ( when let off throttle). Front cylinder cleared upa little today but rear cylinder is still smoking very heavy.
Valve guides?
Valve guide seals?
Clogged return somewhere?
Breather not working?
Head gasket open oil channel to cylinder?

Please help...
Thanks,
Greg

White or black smoke? White(ish) smoke is engine oil, black is fuel. Depending on what type exhaust you have, gas could have soaked into the packing or the carbon and is burning off.

Had just added a quart of synthetic 20w50 a week prior and when checked tanks was almost empty ( about half inch on stick). It is definitely oil smoke and using oil very fast.

Change the oil and try again sounds like the case filled with gas check your float level too:D

shovel heads dont use 20-50 oil your supposed to run 60 wt ! That could be why its smoking! The oil is toooooooo THIN for the Shovel and leaked past the rings and is blowing out the back!

shovel heads dont use 20-50 oil your supposed to run 60 wt ! That could be why its smoking! The oil is toooooooo THIN for the Shovel and leaked past the rings and is blowing out the back!
I use the 20-60 in both my shovels. Nothing wrong with multigrade in a shovel. In fact, it's ideal :)

Had just added a quart of synthetic 20w50 a week prior and when checked tanks was almost empty ( about half inch on stick). It is definitely oil smoke and using oil very fast.

Liquid DOES NOT compress.... If cyl was Full of Gas, and you kicked it over, You probably broke a piston or it cracked... Or even could of Bent a rod.

I would check the compression and go from there... Perform an oil and filter change, New plugs.
I also would use Only 50w winter - 60w summer. (.)

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with Bubbie. Sounds like a Hydro-lock. Not but a week ago, I pulled the heads on a Hydro-locked marine Chevy 5.0 engine. What a mess.

Check the compression.

I agree with Bubbie. Sounds like a Hydro-lock. Not but a week ago, I pulled the heads on a Hydro-locked marine Chevy 5.0 engine. What a mess.

Check the compression.

Agree with Hoople, squirt some oil down the cylinders and see if the compression changes, may need a top end job, not too bad to do :D

Nothing wrong with running 20/50 in a Shovel.

Back