free website stats program Shifting without Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting without Clutch

Kjay

On my 06 Dyna I notice I can shift gears without engaging the clutch after shifting from first to second. How bad can one damage the trans by doing this and is this possible on other bikes or is it a flaw? I can up shift and down shift is that strange or what?

You'll be grinding the gears on your tranny use the clutch

When I shift there are no grinding sounds at all just a slight jerk and thats all a rather smooth operation.

These are not automatics. Even tho you do not here grinding I can almost guarentee you there is. And eventualy it will get worse. And do you realy want little peices of metal floating around in your tranny?

Thank you for your input I'll stay on the safe road and use the clutch. I don't need any avoidable problems. Thanks Speedyron

You're very welcome. I've hit my shift peg and had it go into another gear befor. All bikes will do it in at the least some gears. It just causes damage tho. Happy Trails

it is possible to shift gear on any automobile without using the clutch as long as the revs are correct and the gear box is in good operable order.
i do it when on the strip - im cheap and cant afford an air shifter, basically you rev the motor and apply pressure to the shifter as you slightly drop the revs the bike will shift up and you can bang the power on without loosing much.
i dont reccommend doing it all the time but it is possible

We know it is possible, but your not saying you promote doing it are you Hobbit?

Yes the term for that is speed shifting and it is not a matter of doing it right. You listen to the revs and shift at the proper time or, look at the tachometer and shift. Usualy done when drag racing. Never the less, it is always bad for the tranny. But so is drag racing lol. They usualy plan on redoing the tranny anyway. They are looking for speed at the track and clutching just takes more time. A person that wants their tranny to last would never do such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I shift there are no grinding sounds at all just a slight jerk and thats all a rather smooth operation.

Thank you for your input I'll stay on the safe road and use the clutch. I don't need any avoidable problems. Thanks Speedyron

Last edited by a moderator:
it is possible to shift gear on any automobile without using the clutch as long as the revs are correct and the gear box is in good operable order.
i do it when on the strip - im cheap and cant afford an air shifter, basically you rev the motor and apply pressure to the shifter as you slightly drop the revs the bike will shift up and you can bang the power on without loosing much.
i dont reccommend doing it all the time but it is possible

I agree with hobit. I drove a company vehicle and discovered the joy of shifting without a clutch. There were a few days when I did not get the revs right and got that grinding sound. It took about a year before the tranny quit.

There are guys who can do this right , then there are others like my self who cant and will eventualy pay for it. The choice is yours.

With any manual trans. you can sincronize the gears with correct timing but it invairiably will put more wear on the trans. I've had it happen where I put a little pressure on the shifter before pulling the clutch and right before I was going to shift it goes in without a grind, very smooth. This should give you an idea where the best shift points are. But not a recommended practice.

drove trucks for years mostly 13 speeds never used a clutch. trans and clutch lasted a normal life. but i wouldnt do it in my pick up and wouldnt dream of doing it on my bike.

On my 06 Dyna I notice I can shift gears without engaging the clutch after shifting from first to second. How bad can one damage the trans by doing this and is this possible on other bikes or is it a flaw? I can up shift and down shift is that strange or what?

Why would you anyway?

I drive a 97 International 10 wheel dump truck. I mainly use the clutch for starting and stopping. Still have the SAME tranny in it with NO problems. I use it to plow snow all winter, and haul dirt and asphalt all summer.
Now take my 07 Street Bob, it has a Pingel Electric shifter, and I only use the clutch to start and stop.(great speed shifting). I suppose this acts on the same principle as keeping the revs up and shifting without a clutch eh?
Gosh, I love the spell check in Firefox!

BRIAN

Back