free website stats program shifter removal help... | Harley Davidson Forums

shifter removal help...

Lang

hi everybody, just wondering if anyone knows a way to get the shifter off of the shifter shaft so i can remove the primary cover. i know i can bang a screw driver in there to spread it open but i dont want to knock anything out of whack. almost looks like i could use a puller of some kind to do it. thanks

Lang

hi everybody, just wondering if anyone knows a way to get the shifter off of the shifter shaft so i can remove the primary cover. i know i can bang a screw driver in there to spread it open but i dont want to knock anything out of whack. almost looks like i could use a puller of some kind to do it. thanks

Lang

Make sure to remove the bolt completely, not just loosen it. You can spread the shifter a little with a screwdriver, but first spray a little WD-40 in there and see if that loosens it up.

After you remove the bolt (and you have to remove it not just loosen it) give it a shot of WD 40 or some other penetrating oil and let it set for a bit. Give it a wiggle or two and see if it will not loosen up..

Or after removing bolt and spraying with WD-40 gentle pry open at split to aid in removing.

ok got it. i had to tap in a screw driver a little then get a pry bar and with a rag under it pry it off. its a small pry bar that actuall worked really well. but i might look for some kind of small puller for next time. the thing was really on there. but i got it. thanks everyone.

Back