free website stats program Shifter Linkage | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Linkage

sprinklerfitter669

I want to replace the stock shifter linkage.
I found the one i want at the dealer.
Somebody told me that when they replaced theirs, it was so stiff, they had to soak it in WD-40 for wekk to loosten it.
is this common?

sorry smitty,
i should have clarified, he told me the new linkage had to be soaked, due to stiffness, that is what i wanted to know if that is common, for new linkages to be stiff, and have to be soaked, or was it just sitting on the dealers shelf for awhile

Boy, howdy on that nonsense, how long was that "new" part in stock for it to need to be "soaked"...(don't think it was the part that they did the deed to...!) -- take the part back pronto!

i didnt buy mine yet, he bought the Linkage that says FATBOY on it.
he told me that the ends were stiff, making it hard to shift..... hetold me he soaked it and then it was fine. maybe he installed wrong?
i just wanted to check to see if somebody else had this happen to them.

No soaking will be needed. Like Top said: adjust the new one to the same length as the one you take off, and put it on. This is a piece of cake and looks a lot better than the OEM rig.

Actually the only thing that could be binding is galling in the ball/socket joint due to corrosion, lack of lubrication or some sort of acid/salt destroying the rubbing surfaces...OR the angle is too sharp for the heim joint to actuate shifter w/ proper leverage...either way bad news is going on for a "new" part!

Back