free website stats program shifter linkage | Harley Davidson Forums

shifter linkage

blues821

Been doin some maintenance on my 07 RKC , will get new rear tire this weekend , But Ive been doin other things like checkin torque's , lubeing and adjusting, blah ,blah..........but I have noticed my stock shifter link the rubber in the joints is pretty degraded......I ordered new one's......once the rubber in those joint's go thats it your stranded ............so if your still useing the stock ****er link ya may want to have a peek at it.......also I completely disasembled the shifter and removed the rod from the engine case it was in need of some cleanin and greasein as well ......rear axle was alittle ruff comin out but I'll grease it up before I put it back in ........

Thanks Smitty. Every time I think I'm done ordering stuff from Zanotti, I read about something else I want/need! Add it to my list of winter projects I guess.

I had one of the stock ends come apart about 60 miles from home. Was able to limp home with a couple of nylon zip ties. Never had a problem with the aircraft type ends.

Never understood why Harley used them cheap cad plated rods and stuff until I got my second Harley and paid another $100 + for a good/nice looking SS shifter linkage..............it's simply brilliant marketing, they know yer gonna change it! Careful w/ the after market one though, I have seen the castings break on em, on long road trips, I carry my ol take off, just in case.

Your right again Smitty...........I finally got my CVO RG last year, I told the better half that I "wouldn't have to change anything cuz it already has it all !"
That was a lie........I have changed stuff.........I think it's a sickness........I'm weak and succumed to God of Chrome often.

Well if they but the very best of everything on it the bike would cost 30K for a basic model.
And half the buyers would still not be happy.
Stock one works and last long time just the replacement is better

Same applies to seats, grips, speakers, headlight bulbs, windshields, and many others I'm probably forgetting. If it wasn't for this awesome forum and its members, I wouldn't have ever known how to improve my bike in such a cost efficient manner. And I'm being totally serious here.

A Harley stirs the soul right off the showroom floor but there are so many ways to tweak it, improve it, and make it fit each individual rider!

i took my shifting linkage shaft out of the primary case and found it bone dry.i drilled and tapped a zerk dead center vertical in the bore the rod goes through in the primary case. i can now periodically pump a shot of grease to lube the shifting rod.

Back