free website stats program shift shaft removal? | Harley Davidson Forums

shift shaft removal?

harley411

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Mine is a plain FXD, not a custom, but the install is the same. I used a hacksaw blade to cut and remove my shifter shaft. Total install took about an hour. Only cost was the price of the forwards. Buy the Harley brand forwards (49080-06a) online for about $300.00.

once you cut off the shaft ,can the rest of the lever be removed from the back side?

I removed my primary without cutting it. From what I saw, it needs to be removed to get the shift shaft and everything out, but someone that has actually done it, may have an idea for how to do this. If you do a search in the self help section there is guide to doing this with a hacksaw, but I believe it assumes you are leaving it in, post cutting it.

once you cut off the shaft ,can the rest of the lever be removed from the back side?

You cut the inside section and let it fall the the ground. There is a gab between the engine and primary; where the shifter sits. I used a sawzall to quickly cut it. Once cut.. pull the shaft out. That is all to it. Get a plug for it if you want. I think the kit came with one

Back