free website stats program Shift points on 07 EG | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift points on 07 EG

Sgt York

I took my EG to Bumpus for service and asked about the 5th gear noise. Their answer confused me. The manual (yes I did read it as I plan on keeping it forever and driving it until the wheels fall off) states that the shift points are:

1st 15
2nd 25
3rd 30
4th 40
5th 48
6th 55

Which is about 2000 RPM. The dealer said that the manual was wrong and I should not even go into 6th untill I hit 75-80 MPH. Is this right?? Not any speed limits that fast around here.

What speeds is the correct speeds to shift at for fuel economy and still not lug the engine?

Thanks.

Without the IDS installed 6th gear would sound like a can if marbles much below 65 MPH and shouldn't be used in any event below that. It makes a big difference by installing it, however don't lug the engine much below 2300 rpm's in any gear especially the upper gears.

Maybe this will help.

RPM's vs Speed 5 6 Speeds - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks glider. I ran it that way for 2K miles (2000 rpm). Any chance it did any damage by running the RPMs too low?

Lugging an engine will have it's effects on the bottom end (bearings etc) if done for an extended time. I doubt it had any significant effect for 2K miles.

Newbie here, so be gentle.....What is IDS? And are you saying that the bike needs to be run above 2300rpm most of the time? I guess my thinking has always been, lower rpm's, better fuel mileage, less engine wear.....

Thanks

Newbie here, so be gentle.....What is IDS? And are you saying that the bike needs to be run above 2300rpm most of the time? I guess my thinking has always been, lower rpm's, better fuel mileage, less engine wear.....

Thanks

This is the IDS, works very well.
IDS Drive System - Harley Davidson Community

Not so on your thinking about lower RPM's, actually adding some fuel for a more efficient burn and proper RPM's will give you better MPG. Also lower RPM's is more stress on bearings, rods, crank and other parts as well.

Just think of it this way, a crank spinning up a bit and rotating freely as compared to a crank that is being lugged where each pulse of the cylinder firing will thrust the rod against the crank. Which do you think will live longer?

It'll do it Smitty on flat ground but any type of incline will be where the problems start with lugging and maybe even driveline clatter too, just not a good practice with a 96.

I agree Glider my bike likes to go into 6th at 70. But of course here in wisconsin we are not allowed to go that fast...right?

Back