free website stats program Shift Linkage | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Linkage

tlyoungb

Just wondering....on the FLH model. Is there any type of grease or anything that can be used for the shift Linkage? Or should any be used at all.

Got my 5 in so I can now post this.

A bunch of us went together and got 50 of these. They work great and are a great price if you can get some buds to go with you and buy a bunch like we did.

Click HERE

If you are referring to the shift rod with the ball joints,you are better off replacing it with one that has Heim Joints.
I made my own with some 9/16 dia. 303 SS and some Heim Joints from Mcmaster Carr.Cost About $40.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the shift rod with the ball joints,you are better off replacing it with on that has Heim Joints.
I made my own with some 9/16 dia. 303 SS and some Heim Joints from Mcmaster Carr.Cost About $40.

I agree here, only way to go. I usually replace the shift rod with an aftermarket one that has the upgraded heim joint ends. Not a good thing to have to tie the end fittings on to get back home. That's where the nylon cable ties come in handy.:s

With the high cost of shifting rods I polish the original with Mothers Aluminum Polish every wax job. It looks great and the price is right.

Haven't heard of, nor had any issues with the rod ends. How long usually before problems arrise?

It depends on how you shift. Some people stomp on the shifter and they don't last too long while others lift the shift lever and they go a long distance.

I agree here, only way to go. I usually replace the shift rod with an aftermarket one that has the upgraded heim joint ends. Not a good thing to have to tie the end fittings on to get back home. That's where the nylon cable ties come in handy.:s

I lost mine on the freeway coming around a curve and into a tunnel. There was traffic ahead of me and when I tried to downshift, the shift lever just fell to the bottom of its play. I had no idea of what was going on - at first I thought something happened to the clutch. As soon as I got to the bottom of the first off-ramp, I looked down and saw the problem. Yes, I did have some plastic ties in the saddle bag, and five minutes later I was on the way home.
BTW, the ball joint lasted around 120,000 miles.

Back