free website stats program Shift lever position on Softails | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift lever position on Softails

doctordoug

Account Removed
I purchased new billet levers from the MoCo and am very happy with them. The brake pedal was changed out also because how could you possibly ride your Harley without matching levers! Even your neighbors would be ashamed of you. Anyhow, when I installed the new shift levers I reversed the order that they go on the shaft. I put the heel shifter on first and then the front lever. It works so much better. The inside of your left heel doesn't contact the rear lever as much and the front pad is over your boot more. I don't know why Softails don't come like this. Several friends made the switch and they couldn't believe what a nice change it was. Try it with new or old levers. Let me know what you think.:s

I took my heel shifter off right away also but I'll bet switching them the way you did would work much better.

Cool idea. Unfortunately I hate heel shifters. Took mine off. Its in the closet where it belongs...LOL

I'm not that big on using the heel shifter but I do like the old school look. I had mine off for awhile and it looked bare. With the lever moved it is out of the way and it still looks good. Which is what we're all after, right!

Pay no attention to these "Heal Shifter Haters" :s I may have switched mine when they were off, I don't remember, but I did move my boards out 3/4" so the levers don't seam to be a problem. I also repositioned the levers down so they just miss the board on a shift. This is really nice not having to lift my boot much at all. It takes a little practice to find nutral with your heal.

I reversed the order that they go on the shaft. It works so much better. Let me know what you think.

What I think? It is more proof to me that just because the "factory says so" does not mean there is not a better way.
Good Going!:)

What I think? It is more proof to me that just because the "factory says so" does not mean there is not a better way.
Good Going!:)

I appreciate the comment especially one from an expert like you. I try but don't have the electrical skills that you do. You are a great benefit to this forum!:s

I purchased new billet levers from the MoCo and am very happy with them. The brake pedal was changed out also because how could you possibly ride your Harley without matching levers! Even your neighbors would be ashamed of you. Anyhow, when I installed the new shift levers I reversed the order that they go on the shaft. I put the heel shifter on first and then the front lever. It works so much better. The inside of your left heel doesn't contact the rear lever as much and the front pad is over your boot more. I don't know why Softails don't come like this. Several friends made the switch and they couldn't believe what a nice change it was. Try it with new or old levers. Let me know what you think.:s

I think that is one good idea, I wish I had tried that back when I was riding Baggers, if you have any trouble with shifter rattle try a wave washer or two behind the shifters it works wonders good info for the Forum Here by you, Thanks, Capital Jack:s

This is an interesting thread for me because one of the reasons I like my Harley is that I can shift with my heel. I have foot drop from a past back surgery so that shifting with my toe requires me to stiffen my foot and pull the toe shifter up with my entire left extremity. I can downshift with my foot easily because I still have the nerves intact to plantar flex. I may look into the change you mentioned doctordoug, thanks.
Ishmael

I really liked this idea and tried it. However the heal shifter contacts the primary cover when slip completely on the shaft on the inside. Did you use any spacers and if so did the toe shifter fit completely on the shaft? I hate to clamp down the toe shifter if it is only part way on the shaft for fear of distorting it.

Back