free website stats program Shift/Brake Side Conversion Kit Available? | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift/Brake Side Conversion Kit Available?

RibEye

I started with a '73 XLCH (kick-start sporty), back in the day. I would like to get another one, if I could find one in original factory stock condition. However, I seem to have heard that there is a kit to convert such to a right-brake/left-shift configuration. Does anyone know of where I could get or find out how to fabricate such a thing? It would just be too dangerous to ride my '03 and the '73 alternately, since stock the '73 has swapped sides.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'd get a 75 sporty instead. The conversion I recall seeing was home fabricated and was awkward looking but it did work.

I started with a '73 XLCH (kick-start sporty), back in the day. I would like to get another one, if I could find one in original factory stock condition. However, I seem to have heard that there is a kit to convert such to a right-brake/left-shift configuration. Does anyone know of where I could get or find out how to fabricate such a thing? It would just be too dangerous to ride my '03 and the '73 alternately, since stock the '73 has swapped sides.

Enjoy,
Rich P

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Instructions/22/22-0405.pdf Try V TWIN:s

I am going to do conversion on my 73. I am researching using forwards (either v twins or custom chrome). I know that the brake will have to be changed to cable operation (change rear brake backing plate to 75 up type).
The shifter is the hard part, using the forward control to hook up to the brake/shifter cross over shaft, then linkage on right side to trans shifter shaft.
the problems are; the shifter cross over shaft is not same as brake cross over shaft, the right side factory linkage is listed in aftermarket catalogs, but the biggest problem is the trans shift shaft must be changed to a 75/76 type (requires disasemble of trans).
I am going to see about making adapter to hook up to the right side of brake cross over shaft, then use linkage to hook up to 74 (and down) trans shifter shaft.
This would not be a perminate modification to the bike, and could be easily changed back for the purest out there.
Like I said , I am in research phase right now, but I am going to order up forward controls to get started soon.
Anybody out ther with info or suggestion please respond

Back