free website stats program Shhhhhh! Your in California | Harley Davidson Forums

Shhhhhh! Your in California

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
The govenor signed into law SB435 today:(. Starting in 2013 all new bikes sold in California will have to have a EPA stamped exhaust system. The rest of us will have to reduce our DBs down to 80 dbs. If your coming to California after 2013 be quiet:newsmile072:.

Last edited:
Oh Oh, what starts on the Left Coast always spreads East:(

What I've read so far about this bill is that you can't be pulled over specifically and only for a noise infraction but can and will be cited for it if you've been pulled over for another offense. So if I get pulled over for speeding or a taillight out or something then and only then can the tack on the pipes infraction. Am I reading this right? It's what was written by ABATE.
WAP.gif

Just be thankful it applies to BIKES manufactured on or after January 2013...by then HD will hopefully have gone to water cooling...as EPA emissions and sound standards will get tougher on new designs negating the air cooled engine advances much as it did the 2 stroke engines of the past.

I remember Brand "Y" came out with a Kenny Roberts replica 2 stroke water cooled bike WITH catalytic converter as a one time commemorative/engineering exercise rather than real hope of actual production...and I suspect V-Twin Air Cooled motorcycles will be in a similar state by then...THAT is the real sad thing!

Last edited:
With this law that is an affirmative! But you know how laws can change...the portion of the bill that would have mandated 2 year inspections, emissions and 80dB noise tests at a certified facility was luckily removed...along with the enforcement part and fines clauses...WHEW! :newsmile040:

This was copied from "Bikers of America" web site. Go there to read the whole thing.. It does appear that older bikes are exempt:D

Sunday, June 27, 2010
SB 435 bill analysis

OFF THE WIRE
Date of Hearing: June 28, 2010

ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION
Bonnie Lowenthal, Chair
SBPCA Bill Id: SB 435 (Author:pavley) – As Amended: Ver: June 22, 2010

SENATE VOTE: Not relevant

SUBJECT: Motorcycle exhaust system federal noise labels

SUMMARY: Makes it a crime for a person to park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the state that is manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, that does not have a federal U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noise emission control label. Specifically, this bill:

1) Requires that a registered motorcycle manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, and operating within the state, have a federal U.S. EPA noise emission label.

2) Establishes that a violation of the labeling requirement is a mechanical violation and a peace officer is prohibited from stopping a motorcycle solely on a suspicion of a violation of this labeling requirement. Requires a peace officer to cite a violation of this law as a secondary infraction.

3) Requires that a person issued a notice to appear or to whom a complaint is filed, to produce a proof of correction.

4) Establishes a violation of this law as punishable by the same fine that is currently established pursuant to the equipment anti-tampering law.

Availability of parts and effective date: The availability of aftermarket replacement exhaust mufflers from 1990 to 2000 and newer was difficult to determine with any amount of reliability. For the most part, it appeared that replacement equipment that is compliant with the federal noise labeling regulations, likely due to the lack of federal oversight and enforcement, was not consistently available upon questioning of workers at motorcycle part stores. Accordingly, it was determined that it would be unfair and impracticable upon owners of older year motorcycles to require older year models to operate with federally noise compliant exhaust systems. Taking a reasonable, modest, and proscriptive approach, this bill's requirements will be imposed upon motorcycles beginning with 2011 and thereafter.

Don't feel bad they did it to us in Maine as well. The next thing they'll be crying that too many bikers are being killed by cages. The way I see it you can only look in one direction at a time, but you hear in all directions all the time. First they take your Rights then your freedom Now they want your LIFE, BUT KEEP PAYING YOUR TAXES:worthy:hummer:small3d028::wall:small3d023::rr but don't :newsmile07: in November

Another reason to love my shovelhead--sounds like I'm off the hook on this one. Not all cops will know the diff, tho. We'll see where it goes.

When I was about 20 I was at a road construction stop on the Yuba river and got approached by a chp who wanted to inspect my exhaust pipes. Another leo on hand from a different agency said, "it's a harley. They're just loud.". As I recall the chp was not much older than I was at the time, the deputy was older and mellower. I always keep a light attitude and show respect.

Back