free website stats program Shakey handlebars at idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Shakey handlebars at idle

smkinnan

OK, I've tried to work this out myself but can't. I've searched the forum high and low to no avail. Anyways, my new (to me) 2008 Road King shakes quite a bit at idle. I had a Dyna Street Bob that was relatively smooth at idle and I never noticed it like I do on the RK. This thing is really shaking. I guess I assumed that the rubber isolaters in the handlbars and the new mounting system for the engine in the RK should keep this at bay, so it really surprises me. It is so hard that as I come to a stop while still rolling and the engine has returned to idle, it feels like I am on an extremely bumpy road. At first I thought there was a problem with the suspesion.

One other thing I noticed in the last couple of days. When I'm stopped and at an idle with no brake applied, the handlebars shake more then the Dyna ever did. When I apply the front brake the shake seems to get worse. I really don't understand this at all. I release the brake and it it not as bad. Could it be a broken motor mount or something? Perhaps something loose? What can I check?

I use to be somewhat comfortable taking it into the dealer to have them tell me what might be wrong. Now, after reading this forum and trying to become a little more educated, I second guess anything they say. I want to be informed before I go into the dealer. Thanks for the help.

Are u still under factory warranty all my baggers shook less than my dyna something not right here good luck, Jack

Yea I'd definitely say somethings not right. I have an 06 Heritage and it doesn't shake. I'm sure someone here can give you some advice on where to start looking. Good luck.

Let's keep in mind that you are comparing the 08 which has a 96 motor compared to ??? in the street bob. The 96 is a longer stroke crank than the previous motors of earllier years and that could be what you are feeling. My RK 96 had a bit of shake more with a few miles than in the beginning. You could always check the mounts for the proper torque and don't forget the extra stabilizer link on the newer bikes too that wasn't on the earlier bikes.

Mine is an 07 and it shakes quite a bit at redlights...Dont hold the front brake if you can help it while you are stopped....when you stop the front wheel by holding the break it transfers all that into the handlebars. If the warranty is still good take it to the dealer and get the motor mounts checked but be aware that if the dealer can't find a problem they will probably charge you...Good luck..

Let's keep in mind that you are comparing the 08 which has a 96 motor compared to ??? in the street bob. The 96 is a longer stroke crank than the previous motors of earllier years and that could be what you are feeling. My RK 96 had a bit of shake more with a few miles than in the beginning. You could always check the mounts for the proper torque and don't forget the extra stabilizer link on the newer bikes too that wasn't on the earlier bikes.

hey glider, actually the two bikes I was comparing are a 2008 RK 103" w/4k on it and a 2008 Dyna Street Bob 96" that had 16k on it. The Dyna was really smooth. Seems to me the Dyna had solid mounted handlebars. The RK has some sort of rubber mounting on them, right? Also, I assumed the extra mount in the RK would help stablize it better as well.

I'll check the mount and make sure they are torqued properly. Thanks

Back