free website stats program Setting belt tension 08 vs 11 service manual | Harley Davidson Forums

Setting belt tension 08 vs 11 service manual

btsom

Description of procedures are abbreviated to highlight the part I'm asking about.

08 Touring manual says to set belt tension: loosen castle nut, re-tighten to 20 ft lbs and adjust belt. Tighten castle nut to 95 tp 105 ft lbs. then loosen 1 turn and re-tighten to 95 to 105.

The 11 Touring manual starts the same way, loosen, tighten to 20 ft. lbs and adjust tension. Then tighten to 95 to 105 ft. lbs and the job is done, no loosen and re-tighten.

Anyone know if the 08 procedure has been revised to eliminate the first tighten and loosen step after the tension is set and just tighten ONCE? Are the bearings the same or different allowing the abbreviated procedure on the 11 but not on the 08?

Also, the 11 manual has no frame alignment section, alignment seems to be set at the factory and is not adjustable as it is on the 08. Is there another manual needed for alignment procedures or is it really not adjustable?

Description of procedures are abbreviated to highlight the part I'm asking about.

08 Touring manual says to set belt tension: loosen castle nut, re-tighten to 20 ft lbs and adjust belt. Tighten castle nut to 95 tp 105 ft lbs. then loosen 1 turn and re-tighten to 95 to 105.

The 11 Touring manual starts the same way, loosen, tighten to 20 ft. lbs and adjust tension. Then tighten to 95 to 105 ft. lbs and the job is done, no loosen and re-tighten.

Anyone know if the 08 procedure has been revised to eliminate the first tighten and loosen step after the tension is set and just tighten ONCE? Are the bearings the same or different allowing the abbreviated procedure on the 11 but not on the 08?

Also, the 11 manual has no frame alignment section, alignment seems to be set at the factory and is not adjustable as it is on the 08. Is there another manual needed for alignment procedures or is it really not adjustable?
I can see where the NEED to tighten a bit To HOLD the adjustment Before the axle is finally torqued down.. Personally I see NO Need to loosen and retighten the axle nut And Neither Did HD after all is said and done........... The One turn of the nut doesn't Loosen enough to make any difference on the adjustment that i could see... Loosening the nut is taking a chance on LOOSING the adjustment on the belt...So HD did away with the UN-NEEDED process on the nut...

I would be careful NOT to go too tight as more problems on tyranny bearings come from a TOO TIGHT Belt...

The CAM is preset to Only hold factory specks of alignment... I know a way to over ride this but not worth sharing Because the cam settings Should be Right..

IF not see your dealer...

Signed....BUBBIE

I'm not sure, but I think changes to the '09 up frames eliminate the need for alignment.

Bubbie, as the manual doesn't mention any alignment cams (no alignment section) it would be good to know there they are so they can be marked for a reference should they need to be R and R'ed for any reason. All I saw in a diagram were what could be conical bushings on a shaft across the front of the engine where the shaft was anchored to the frame. If those bushings are in reality the cams, I can mark them should removal ever become needed.

Regarding the "no alignment" procedure for the newer frames, here's a cut'n paste from an article I found in my file. I'm not familiar with '09 up frame and new motor mounts, but I do know there is a stabilizer link higher on the front cyl. than on previous years.
Note the last item "grease fitting more accessible". Only HD would claim a ten cent grease fitting (HD's cost, not ours at the parts house) as a model year improvement.
* New stiffer combination stamped/cast frame instead of welded tubing
* New wider and stiffer rear swing arm
* New 17" front tire (130/80-17 Dunlop D407)
* New 16" rear tire (2" wider)
* IDS hub now integrated with rear wheel
* New suspension tuning
* New mounts for the saddle bags and tour pack increasing weight capacity ratings by 5lbs each
* Rerouted exhaust system to lower the heat on the rider/passenger (Note: the 'baby' pipe under the rear of the transmission may prevent the installation of an aftermarket centerstand).
* An additional added rubber engine mount (4 now).
* RARCC now standard (retrofit kit available for earlier models).
* New Tri-Glide Ultra Classic is a new trike straight from the factory w/103 cu-in engine for $29,999. $1,195 more for optional electric reverse on the tri-glide only
* Grease fitting on steering head is now more accessible.

Last edited:
Note the last item "grease fitting more accessible". Only HD would claim a ten cent grease fitting as a model year improvement.

That is so funny but so true. :) I still don't know why Dyna's don't have grease fittings in the frame neck. It can't be that big of a deal to fix.

Bubbie, as the manual doesn't mention any alignment cams (no alignment section) it would be good to know there they are so they can be marked for a reference should they need to be R and R'ed for any reason. All I saw in a diagram were what could be conical bushings on a shaft across the front of the engine where the shaft was anchored to the frame. If those bushings are in reality the cams, I can mark them should removal ever become needed.

This engine-frame adjustment should Not need adjustment and IF taken apart ,,,put Back as they are..... lock nutted there...
Don't change these UNLESS alignment problems show..
Sorry, I think I'm Miss-leading you...

The solid rear "cams" ARE on the 09 and newer models, Pushing back Tension on the belt ONLY and Not adjustable from side to side like the 08's in alignment,,,,

The 08 Must still have the older system OF tighten each side of the axle shaft,,,, Right??

If so follow the method in your book..

I think the belt should ride like the Old Way , while turning tire forward it should go to the outside just a little,,,,,Reversing tire, belt should go back Just enough to touch the opposite side of the rear pulley...

I have always liked My belt to have a Little shine (opening) on each side of the belt while turning wheel forward... Not trailing OFF to the left OR right...
centered in my book for me..

The cams on My bike (09 FLHR) are PRE-Set. I know how to temporally shim one side or the other for a Small variation IF I Need to do that...

Like Smitty said the 08 is different than the 09..... He is Spot on and My thinking was that ALL 07's and up did the change (solid adjustment axle cams) so I was erred in my thinking...

I hope I'm NOT totally wrong or confused....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back