free website stats program Service | Harley Davidson Forums

Service

Adawg

Hey everyone, just scheduled 5000 mi. service at dealer. I didn't use synthetic oils for 1000 service but am thinking of doing it now based on all posts I have been reading here.Is it really that beneficial for my bike to change and should I do all 3 now ? Be interested in all feedback.
Did my own service on my old yamaha, but new to Harley and dont want to void warranty in any way.

Changing to synthetic won't void your warranty, many on here have made that change and it all boils down to personal choice. I run Mobil 1 20/50 twin v and have had no problems other than I get a little more top end noise. You don't want to run synthetic in your primary, to slippery for the clutch. Changing your own fluids is pretty easy, just follow the owners manual.

I second that doing your own service is no big deal. If you only have the owners manual it will have a check sheet as to what is to be performed at 5,000 miles.
Now to your question with the savings of doing own service I would recommend changing all three oils. At dealer you can buy a service gasket kit with all the needed seals to change all three oils. Highly recommend a factory O.E. Harley oil filter. Just keep in mind that the three holes should have different oils. The hardest thing is trying to lube the steering head bearings. It will use quite a bit of grease so be prepared.......:s

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Back