free website stats program SERT or Fuelpak | Harley Davidson Forums

SERT or Fuelpak

reidsworks

As if it doesn't get any foggier. Talked to V&H for almost 45 min. on Friday. The tech made some very good points.- SERTis for race tuning... I'm not riding to race. - Dyno Tune to make mapping with SERT right places a ton of stress on the motor and has potential to cause damage to the motor and or the chome to blue if you are not careful. How big of a deal are the dyno numbers anyway if you can confirm the system you are installing on the bike is giving you the gains you are looking for.- V&H has five dyno set ups that are in use all day everyday so they can design and build absolutely the best exhaust components and run the testing on test bikes so we don't have to break ours. I have to say, I give V&H points for that one. - Everyone knows V&H has been in the motorcycle performance business for 30 years. Fitment and quality are first class. Exactly the reason, I started looking at V&H to begin with. Fuel PAC is specifically set up for the bike and configuration of system you are using and is a straight forward installatiton that can be done at home with little or no chance of messing up. Monster Ovals are built with left ad right sides flow characteristics the same. Power duals eliminates the cats and cross over pipe is full size rounded (not flattened) to reduce restrictions to left side muffler.

So back to what the Harley Tech tells me. SERT and dyno tune are HD designed, Built and tested. The fuel pac is a plug in device that simply fools the ECM. SERT is a full function programmable device that will allow mapping to my style of riding. Really, how much does that matter on a touring bike. Won't be racing and doing the interstate at 80 mph is sure to get the attention of the law and maybe a ticket or two.

A long disertation, I know. Anyone have an opinion? I've pretty much settled on the V&H exhaust( power duals, monster ovals and DRAK AC. However, still undecided on the SERT vs Fuel Pac.

I have a 2011 Fatboy Lo, had V&H Short shot staggard pipes, a Dynojet Power Commander V and Screaming Eagle air kit installed before I picked it up from the dealer. Could not be happier, performance and sound is great. The Power Commander V was mapped at the dealer. Is the PCV a SERT?

I am a strong believer in the KISS principle on this subject. TFI or the Gen 3 versions are simple plug and play with infinite adjustment options based on your riding style, where you are riding and what changes you make to the bike going forward.

"Your ride, you decide."

TQ

Have to go along with TQ on this...think about it, with TFI you plunk down $250 but can adjust the fueling any way or any time you want for performance or fuel economy. And when modifiying your pipes or air cleaner, not have any downtime or added stresses to your bike (10 or 15 Dyno runs is NOT my idea of taking good care of your bike). With each trip to the dealer costing you $300's or more each time along the way. ROI...Return on Investment is the key here...:s

Last edited:
Have to go along with TQ on this...think about it, with TFI you plunk down $250 but can adjust the fueling any way or any time you want for performance or fuel economy. And when modifiying your pipes or air cleaner, not have any downtime or added stresses to your bike (10 or 15 Dyno runs is NOT my idea of taking good care of your bike). With each trip to the dealer costing you $300's or more each time along the way. ROI...Return on Investment is the key here...:s

That is the nice thing about the Rev Perf Precision EMS, there is no dyno tuning necessary. The TFI may be ok for simple changes but it is very limited in what it can do. I don't think it has the capability to handle a cam change along with a big bore. You also can't make any timing changes if you are having pinging with the TFI. The Rev Perf Precision EMS converts the Delphi system from a narrow band o2 sensor system into a wide band o2 sensor system and auto tunes itself. After it is installed your bike will be running as good as possible, no further adjustments necessary. You want to do a cam change? It will handle it. You want to do a big bore with ported heads? it will handle it. All with no dyno tuning necessary.

If it helps...over the years I've used V&H Fuel Pac, SERT & Power Commander on my modified 2004 FLST - TC88B with V&H Big Radius. A Low compression - High Torque build producing 100 HP & 115 ft lbs of Torque.

At first I used V&H Fuel Pac to match their pipes but had a lot of problems with miss-fires and pinging...V&H were excellent with their service to help me but in the end the Fuel Pac can only be set up for stock or very common engine configurations. A lot of time, money and trial and error with a Dyno/Tuner would be required to set a Fuel Pac up to suit YOUR Bike! Lets face it, ALL bikes are different, even stock engines...they ALL have differences as it's physically impossible to manufacture 2 identical engines...they will always perform differently!

My second attempt was a SERT and back then I was committed to a Harley Dealer/ Mechanic...it was good but I needed to return to the dealer who had no Dyno every time I wanted to modify my map.

For the past 3 years I've been using a Power Commander and purchased a Daytona Twin Scan II system so that I'm able to tune my own engine. No longer need a Dyno or Mechanic. My engine runs sweet producing good power and torque which is what I was chasing, plus since my first tune with the Daytona Twin Scan I haven't had to touch anything else since.

Although I'm about to install new Big Radius for 300 wide tire kit and a larger throttle body over the next couple of weeks...so no prob's, just hook up my Twin Scan again and I'm done.

James

Back