free website stats program Semi hard goo coming out bottom of timing cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Semi hard goo coming out bottom of timing cover

98ROADKING

Hi everyone, we'll riding season is finally here in ne ohio and was looking for a good place to hang a ride bell my daughter bought me for christmas.....in the process i noticed some tan semi hard gooey stuff that followed the wire out of the timing cover. do not know when it started, had to be last year sometime. but bike runs fine, at least today... was the first time i had it out this year.looked around the site and cannot find any posts similar.anyone experience this??? and what do i need to do, or change? its on a 98 roadking.
thanks

Hi everyone, we'll riding season is finally here in ne ohio and was looking for a good place to hang a ride bell my daughter bought me for christmas.....in the process i noticed some tan semi hard gooey stuff that followed the wire out of the timing cover. do not know when it started, had to be last year sometime. but bike runs fine, at least today... was the first time i had it out this year.looked around the site and cannot find any posts similar.anyone experience this??? and what do i need to do, or change? its on a 98 roadking.
thanks

Keep an eye on it, may be the insulation from the wires on the pick up melting, how does it run? May want to take the cover off for a closer inspection

in the process i noticed some tan semi hard gooey stuff that followed the wire out of the timing cover.

It sounds like a melt down, run for your life. :lolrolling

You may want to remove the cover and see what is going on in there with the electronics. It could be moisture but then again it's hard to tell without looking into it.

Bike runs fine so far, but only had it out once so far. don't know when it started though, had to be last season sometime....it's just so hard to notice the goo coming out, cause you almost have to be looking under the bike to notice it. anyway took timing cover and inpection plate off and all i can see is a rectangular box with the same color semi hard substance that is following the wires out. what sensor does it sound like,crank or cam position sensor? for some reason someting got hot in there or thats what happen when it goes bad.

will i need to change the cam position sensor and is it hard to do?

If you checked WHY & What the goo is coming out and FIND MELTING and Physical Damage to the sensor, then I would replace it.... Some one May have Just put in a GOO to keep water out and IT MAY NOT Need replacing.

REPLACE is easy and then it IS Not... Depends on how wires pull OUT and IN thru the harness..
IF you can take it Out of the harness, and Put (pull) the new wire back through that is where I found the TIME was on doing the job..

I used a nylon cord attached to the end under seat to pull OUT the wires and the Cord to Pull new one Back thru the harness...

I ran a New one on my 2000 FXDS around Outside the harness.. But if you take some time You can do the job Right like I did on my 97 FXDS..

It is a simple REPLACE... You don't CUT any wires and DON't splice. Check your diagram on your wiring for your bike and all is easy to see there..

signed....BUBBIE

Looked under inspection plates again and its definitely not wires melting it's the sealant or something like that for a sensor, my guess is the cam position sensor.but just don't know what caused it to melt. may have to bring it to the shop and have someone that knows look at it. i don't even see screws that hold it on.

I know this post is pretty old, but I have the exact same goo running down the wire from the ignition pickup does anybody know what this goo could be? bike runs amazing. Other than this new found goo.

It's the sealant for the cam sensor plate. You must be running an Evo or 1sr 2 yrs. TC. The sealant melts over time on some units. I would consider replacement when possible. What yr. & model are we talking about?
tourbox

Man thank you so much for the reply! It's a 1995 standard Sportster 1200. Runs great but I was going over it getting ready for a mountain trip this weekend and noticed it running down the wire and a very small bubble of it on the frame. Just wanted to make sure it was nothing major didn't want to have it break down on me was thinking about going to a single spark ignition on it over the winter.

Back