free website stats program Security system problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Security system problem

woodhook13

I've had no problems with the security system on my 2001 Heritage Classic, until last year. When arming the system, I stopped getting the two "chiprs" but the lights flashed as usual. This went on for several weeks. I took the bike on a trip up the Blue Ridge and the alarm system started chirping while I was riding. It was very random, meaning it would chirp twice, then four times, then back to two, then five. Then the alarm system would start wailing. I tried taking out the FOB and disarming the system but to no avail. The alarm would stop for some reason and the chirping would start again. This year, I noticed the two chirps have worked perfectly when arming the system. Today, I took my first long ride and once again it started all over again. Chirping and then the wailing. I've replaced the battery in the siren unit but don't know what else to look at. Any ideas? Thanks, B

The only problem I've had with the security system on a Heritage was the wiring under the rear fender got loose and contacted the tire wearing the insulation off. It was causing all kind of weird things to happen with the security system.

I agree. It definitely sounds like a short and it intermittently makes contact for this to happen....Good Luck , man

I've had no problems with the security system on my 2001 Heritage Classic, until last year. When arming the system, I stopped getting the two "chiprs" but the lights flashed as usual. This went on for several weeks. I took the bike on a trip up the Blue Ridge and the alarm system started chirping while I was riding. It was very random, meaning it would chirp twice, then four times, then back to two, then five. Then the alarm system would start wailing. I tried taking out the FOB and disarming the system but to no avail. The alarm would stop for some reason and the chirping would start again. This year, I noticed the two chirps have worked perfectly when arming the system. Today, I took my first long ride and once again it started all over again. Chirping and then the wailing. I've replaced the battery in the siren unit but don't know what else to look at. Any ideas? Thanks, B

Woodhook, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first technical inquiry. I believe your Security I alarm system portion is fine, and the new battery new NiMH rechargeable battery should have corrected the problem. Did you charge the new cell with an external charger to ensure alarm ALERT is functioning correctly? If the problem comes back in a couple weeks the there is something either discharging the battery or something in the module charging ckt or connections is not allowing the battery to fully charge.

Back