free website stats program Security lamp draining d battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Security lamp draining d battery

raedradhi

Hi,
Just bought a 2009 v rod muscle,My first Harley :).took it to the dealer for full inspection.They changed the battery.After five days the battery went low,and the bike wont start,only clicking,took it back to the dealer and they said, the cause of this is the security lamp is always on and it should be blinking and it is draining the battery, they say they may have to change the odometer, any help is appreciated. Thank you

Hi,
Just bought a 2009 v rod muscle,My first Harley :).took it to the dealer for full inspection.They changed the battery.After five days the battery went low,and the bike wont start,only clicking,took it back to the dealer and they said, the cause of this is the security lamp is always on and it should be blinking and it is draining the battery, they say they may have to change the odometer, any help is appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to the forum, I'd tell them to change the odometer then. And when that does or doesn't work they can figure out what's wrong with it.

Be shure to check out the forum rules. :s

Thank you,
This is what the dealer will do,May be some harley members had the same issue and fixed it without changing the odometer.:)

If security lite is not blinking, there is a problem with security system. Do your system arm and dis arm when FOB is not in close proximity of cycle??

The security system is working fine,

Did you actually prove that the security system is working correctly by leaving the key FOB in another room and tipping the bike to vertical? Turn signals should wig-wag and if you have the optional siren, it should blow. Did that happen.

Does the red key light ever go out, even for a second? Turning the ignition On & Off does absolutely nothing? The light just remains On and never goes out or blinks even once. Perform a speedo WOW test just to see if you have any B0XXX or B1XXX codes stored as historical. This attachment should work for your bike.

Have any modes been done to the turn signals? (combo tail/stop,,LED etc)

You didn't say if the bike was purchased from a dealer and if it came with (or has) any extended warranty. Will you be fixing this problem yourself?

Attachments

• 13599d1351096603-trouble_code_question-wow_test.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 23
Bought the bike used and its not under warranty,the light goes out normally when disarmed,meaning it only stays on when security is armed.Called the dealer today so that they dont change the speedometer($720)They said ok and will only charge me $100 for checking:cry
will double check the alarm systemand let you know.thanks

Just got the bike,little scratch fromt the dealer,was wrong about the red light going off when disarming the security,The red key light is always on.the security system is working ok checked with both fobs.did the WoW test and everything is working on the odometer.DTC shows code P1502,made the reset and it is gone now.

My bike doesn't have security, but the owners manual states for arming: On arming, the turn signals will flash twice and the optional siren will chirp twice. While armed, the key icon in the speedometer face will "flash once every 3-seconds."

Also, later in the security information is states in security system troubleshooting: "if the system key icon stays illuminated, see a HD dealer for service."

So, what this means, you now have two issues to address...(1) security system wasn't fixed and (2) what are they going to do about the scratch they did to your bike while it was in their possession. Recommend you address these two issues w/the dealer's Service Manager.

DTC shows code P1502,

I am working without a V-Rod Service manual but a P1502 should be.. Jiffy stand sensor = High. That shouldn't be unless all V-Rods come with jiffy stand sensors(?) or your bike was made for world wide sales. Check to see if the 1 digit of the VIN is a #1 or # 5. If it is a 1, the bike was made for US and that code should never appear. If it is a 5, then there is something shorted with the jiffy stand switch.

Battery draining at a high rate,, P1502 DTC,, red key light solid On,, you have a few weird things going on. Shoot the P1502 error code 1st.

Is the battery still going flat within 5 days? And you DID get the turn signal Wig-Wag when security system goes into an alarm state? Does your security system have the optional siren.

Are you handy using a volt meter and if so would you have a quality meter that will read amps/ milliamps? If you do, what is the max and minimum ranges for amps. You need to determine exactly how much parasitic current drain the bike really has.

Back