free website stats program SE Street Perf Touring Mufflers vs. SE Street Perf Slip-Ons | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Street Perf Touring Mufflers vs. SE Street Perf Slip-Ons

trvlr

I'm going to take a look tomorrow at a set of SE Street Performance "Touring" mufflers for my 08 Ultra. I currently run the stock mufflers and looking to get that lower rumble sound without blowing out an ear-drum on throttle. This is what I'm looking at tomorrow:

Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Touring Mufflers - Chrome | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Is there any difference between the above and the SE Street Performance "Slip-Ons mufflers? as in this link:

Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Slip-On Mufflers - Chrome | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

I saw where the Doc noted installing the SE "slip-ons" and got the sound he was looking for, which is along the lines of what I'd like to accomplish.

Anyone know what the difference might be between these 2 models? TIA -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I should have added that I do see that the slip-ons are a 1-piece unit whereas the touring mufflers have end caps that need to be installed and can accomodate different caps. But this difference aside, are there any other differences internally between these different models -

Last edited by a moderator:
The first ones you mention (Street Performance Touring Mufflers) are $20 more AND require the separate purchase of end caps. If you are real picky about the end caps I guess they're worth it but I wasn't so I went with the other ones - the slip ons.

No other difference that I know of - they'll both fit your bike.

Thanks Doc - so basically the same muffler then minus the difference you noted?

EDIT - saw your response as I was typing mine. That's what I was needing. Thanks

I can't guarantee that internally they're identical. One may be set up for more power and the other for more sound but I read those descriptions multiple times and couldn't figure it out.

My gut feeling is that the endcaps are the difference. The $20 difference might be because the part numbers indicate that the first set were an '07 update of the second set, which came out in '95.

Yea I read those descriptions a few times as well and can't really determine if there's a performance and sound difference between these 2 models. They're both of the "Street Performance" family if that is a particular line of HD mufflers. The slip-ons do comment "aggressive sound quality with aggressive performance", but that is qualified by "Street Performance touring mufflers" - which is what the model I'm looking at is..but description on that doesn't make any remarks about aggressive performance and sound quality. It's enough to make your head spin trying to get a handle on this HD product line lol. So I was thinking that it was the end cap feature that differentiated a "slip on" from their "touring mufflers" - Probably would need to talk to a Harley rep to get the final say.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc - When you installed your SE slip-on's, did you keep the same head exhaust pipes? From what I've been reading, the stock left muffler on 07's and up is restricted to force exhaust out the right pipe. Was the left muffler on your new SE slip-ons restricted the same as the left stock it replaced?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc - When you installed your SE slip-on's, did you keep the same head exhaust pipes? From what I've been reading, the stock left muffler on 07's and up is restricted to force exhaust out the right pipe. Was the left muffler on your new SE slip-ons restricted the same as the left stock it replaced?

Yes, I kept the same header system. Don't know about any internal restrictions in one vs. the other but there's definitely a left slip on and a right slip on so you could be 100% correct.

The adjustable end cap muff is a 4" can. The other one is a 3" OD, I believe. I have the performance mufflers installed on an '08 UC, along with a heavy breather and dealer download, and they sound great to me.

Nice looking pipes Smitty. Finished reading another thread where a lot of folks really liked the sound on those fatshotz - appreciate the heads-up on that.

Edit -

yea, $364 ain't too bad a price.

Let me ask this, along the lines of what I asked the Dr. If I keep the stock head pipes, will the fatshotz left muffler have to have the same restricion on air flow through it that the stock muffler has? Don't have a full understanding on how that all works, but understand that there is a scavenging effect on the stock pipe/muffler setup that pushes 80% of the exhaust out the right pipe/muffler side.

Was your fatshotz left muffler restricted, or are both side mufflers free flowing with those fatshotz? If both are free flowing, does that cause any problems when you keep the same stock head pipes on? thanks

Thanks Smitty - glad to hear that as went ahead and grabbed those SE Street Touring mufflers today. They looked to be in pretty good shape so gonna give those a try and keep an eye out on those fatshotz should I run across those in the future. Those look and sound pretty nice. Seems like it's a toss of the dice when trying different pipes. Spoke to a guy today who bought a brand new pair of V&H slip ons, put 25mi on them - took em off and bought Rineharts and now trying to sell the V&H. A roll of the dice for sure -

Back