free website stats program SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade

2006FXDCI

My friend has a 2000 Road king and wants to upgrade to the new hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit, part #25284-08 my question is that if he uses this kit do you use the new style cams from the 07 and up bikes or do you use the old style cams? He is thinking of going with the SE 204's. Thanks for your help

My friend has a 2000 Road king and wants to upgrade to the new hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit, part #25284-08 my question is that if he uses this kit do you use the new style cams from the 07 and up bikes or do you use the old style cams? He is thinking of going with the SE 204's. Thanks for your help

If he is changing out the cam support plate to the '07 style, he will need to change the cams. And I would suggest that he consider the alternatives to the SE conversion kit. To my knowledge, that set uses the existing silent chain and sprockets instead of changing to a roller chain on the back. Now this is my knowledge as of when I was evaluating my options, and things may have changed. One alternative to look at is the complete set offered by Herko. Worth checking that out. Here is some info I developed when I changed out mine:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I did some looking around before I took mine in for this upgrade, but I didn't see these pics or commentary. Had I have seen them I might have tried this on my own and probably would have been done by now. I have built off road vehicles from the chassis up, but was a bit intimidated to dive into the Harley. I won't be next time. I have a service manual now and will buy a Sears jack this weekend. Great information.

Thanks for all the info, my friend has already bought the HD kit, he got a good deal on ebay so what I need to know is do you run the 07 and up cams with this kit or do you use the older style cams with it? I am getting my motor rebuilt now and I have a set of 203's that I would like to give him to use but they are out of an 06 dyna (new style) and don't know if they will work with the HD kit. Thanks

Kit 25283-07 uses old style cams, chains and spring loaded tensioners.

Kit 25284-08 uses old style cams, old style inner chain, new roller outer chain and hydraulic tensioners.

Both kits use the new style pump.

TQ

There have been some problems with the billet plate. Don't know the country of origin but the problems are QA/QC related. There have been cracks found in the oil pump bolt holes and some bypass plungers look like they were machined with a bench grinder. If you have a jewelers loop or any 10X magnifier, suggest checking the bolt holes for cracks and removing the bypass plunger and polishing if necessary; maybe you got a good one. Suggest that you also polish the inner chain on a buffing wheel; the old Morse chain will wear on that inner tensioner much faster than the new roller chain.

If I had seen the post in time, I would have suggested that your buddy go to the Andrews website where the list the parts, including the later stock cam plate which is good enough and made in the USA. This would have required the conversion cams though, the stock cams would not work. A set o 26N cams would have been a nice upgrade. The SE204 has a wicked advance curve with the 8* ground in advance and can be a ping monster in the summer heat with some bad gas, or ethanol, particularly on the later models with the higher gearing. If he has a ping problem, just get the -4* retard sprocket and the problem should be solved. The SE203 would be a better choice with an FL model.

Back