free website stats program SE fork oil | Harley Davidson Forums

SE fork oil

2006FXDCI

I am getting ready to replace my fork sliders with a chrome set and was thinking about using the SE heavy fork oil. Has anyone used it and did you like how it performed? Thanks

I changed the fork oil in my 02 Heritage to the SE Heavy and like it a lot. My forks would occasionally bottom out, especially two up, but the heavier oil eliminated that. I think the bike handles much better, especially in the turns, and doesn't "nose dive" at stops nearly as much. I wish I had done it a few years ago! Some say the ride is a little too stiff, I didn't notice that at all.

Thats what I was after, when I run the 1/4 mile at the end when i get out of the gas my front end nose dives hard. It can get pretty hairy sometimes. I think I'm gonna drop in some progressive springs while I'm at it also. Thanks

HD doesn't publish what the weight of the oil is but I have read that SE Heavy is 15wt. Your original stock oil was probably 5wt. So you should see a big improvement, I know I did. There is another SE fork oil for "racing" bikes that I believe is 20wt. Some guys even mix weights to get a blend somewhere in between. I don't have the kind of time to try all that!

Got he new sliders and SE oil in yesterday all I can say is what an improvement over stock. The old oil was a nasty greenish brown color. Front end doesn't dive and it tracks much better in the twisties. I would definitely recommend changing to the SE fork oil.

Got he new sliders and SE oil in yesterday all I can say is what an improvement over stock. The old oil was a nasty greenish brown color. Front end doesn't dive and it tracks much better in the twisties. I would definitely recommend changing to the SE fork oil.

It sounds as if you replaced the fork oil yourself. I am about to change my fork oil for the first time and wondered about the steps you took and if you ran into any hooks along the way. Did you remove the legs from the triple tree's and just empty them out into a measuring cup and then replace that removed amount with fresh oil via the gland nut on the top of the leg. Or did you use the "measuring stick method" that is in the service manual?

Did you install a new seal kit while you were at it? I was also going to use the SE oil (#99881-87). I am glad you said it was an improvement because I purchased the oil a few weeks back and then started to wonder if I did the right thing. I have 49mm legs on my front end. Are your the same?

The Mity Vacuum pump method that Glider had invented will not work on my legs.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated since I have never done it before and really don't know what to expect.

One question I had was can I just remove the legs,,, remove the top gland nut,,, and pour out the oil. Will all the oil come out or does some get trapped inside? After refilling, how do you get the air pockets out? (if there are any). The manual is not very clear on just changing the oil. It goes into detail about installing new seals but not just an oil change by itself.

Tks

It sounds as if you replaced the fork oil yourself. I am about to change my fork oil for the first time and wondered about the steps you took and if you ran into any hooks along the way. Did you remove the legs from the triple tree's and just empty them out into a measuring cup and then replace that removed amount with fresh oil via the gland nut on the top of the leg. Or did you use the "measuring stick method" that is in the service manual?

Did you install a new seal kit while you were at it? I was also going to use the SE oil (#99881-87). I am glad you said it was an improvement because I purchased the oil a few weeks back and then started to wonder if I did the right thing. I have 49mm legs on my front end. Are your the same?

The Mity Vacuum pump method that Glider had invented will not work on my legs.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated since I have never done it before and really don't know what to expect.

One question I had was can I just remove the legs,,, remove the top gland nut,,, and pour out the oil. Will all the oil come out or does some get trapped inside? After refilling, how do you get the air pockets out? (if there are any). The manual is not very clear on just changing the oil. It goes into detail about installing new seals but not just an oil change by itself.

Tks
I used the SE race oil for my deuce last year when I did my 10k service last year. I was amazed at the difference in the ride. The oil that came out was very dark & dirty looking which surprised me since it's in 'closed' environment.

It seemed pretty simple, I had a drain plug on each tube and then just refilled it from the top. If Hoople just throws a light in there, it will be electrical and then it will be a piece of cake. :D

Great info & video. But if you happen to be a NewBee,, be aware there is a VERY important step at movie slider position 1:42 that they don't show you. Your not slide hammering ANYTHING apart unless you remove the retainer clip above the shock seal first. That part they don't show you unless you buy the Full DVD....

I guess it's "Build a Hogs" way of teaching you a lesson if you don't pay for the Full DVD..:p:p

Back