free website stats program SE Compensator upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Compensator upgrade

atm33

Anyone do the SE Compensator upgrade lately? I'm ready to proceed, and know how to install from all the forum info I've read, but trying to verify what part numbers I need. I have an '08 Road King Classic. From what I have read I will need compensator kit 42200064A, adhesive kit 11100088 (which may or may not contain a super special adhesive gun..), and may or may not need a new rotor. I went to the dealer yesterday, and they didn't have the part numbers in their system and couldn't even give me a quote (told me to wait til next year when the computer is updated.... grrrrrrr...), but said the tech installs tons of SE compensators for the ongoing problem. My first 2 months of owning a Harley are getting more and more fun and interesting :D.

Check with Kutter Harley-Davidson online, they beat all the other dealers on my SE pro tuner by $100.00 bucks. They also advertise free shipping.

I checked their online site, they do sell SE compensators and free shipping with orders over 99.00 dollars. Phone # (866)405-1164 Kutter Harley-Davidson, Janesville WI.

We HAVE/HAD the same comp in our bikes. My 09 got to kick-back tooooo often and not having PR's Hard starting when Heat Soaked and early non-cooling start needed..(after fueling)

Over a year back when I was going to 103" rebuild on my bike (66,000 miles and 91,500 today) I Bought the SE 08A replacement at the time. Harley does Not make or sell the old stock ones that came in our bikes so the SE Comp came around and around and around......

I READ a lot here and on different threads other forums also.

I Grooved the 3 spoke fronts to DRAW oil down into the Diagonal Faced Grooves that continued from the spokes into the front Boss face where the lock bolt and fiber washer goes... DRAWING Inward a Drop OR two of oil..

Mine HAS worked good as MANY others who used the same SE 08A replacement Compensator had Problems. Mine has more than 25,000 miles on it and Not a Clunk one... I do use MTL by Redline as the Primary Gear lube.(wet clutch approved)

I TRULY followed the Compensator.... I don't think much of ANY New Improved comp that you install and STILL get KLUNKING from it and even when installed and moving BY HAND it will hit the spokes stops...

The roller bearing face where a spring or Grooved washer should be is a Joke... Tightening down A small roller bearing to 160 lbs OR more is not going to hold up. NO matter how much oil you put on/in it.

Remember, the comp does NOT spin it just rocks back n forward for its motion ROLLER BEARINGS ????????

The 08 A is by far a better unit MODIFIED the way I did mine. I'm not the first to Groove the spokes and the boss face (not my original idea) but doing it (thinking MY WAY Was/Is) to get the oil to DRAW in when Centrifugal Force is moving oil the opposite way OUT away is the KEY...

Look at the picture of that new style unit and see the roller washer.
Many of the SMART ones like GRM performance are replacing that roller bearing with a Special Spring style Washer that also allows oil in... Their Compensaver oi tray is a good but expensive device that DOES get oil into the compensator face...

HD will wait to allow OTHERS like GMR to show their device that works Then Engineer their own style to sell.

Waiting Might be more than a year out. HD does sell enough of the high dollar ones right now and NOT ME is my response...

signed....BUBBIE

Jeff, will check out Kutter.

Bubbie, I think you hit it on the head when you said "HD will wait to allow OTHERS like GMR to show their device that works Then Engineer their own style to sell."

I just bought a new comp from Kutter $249 and a glue kit from New Castle $40 and a SE manual chain adjuster from Surdyke for $119. Parts have all shipped. Should arrive Sat or Mon.

I just bought a new comp from Kutter $249 and a glue kit from New Castle $40 and a SE manual chain adjuster from Surdyke for $119. Parts have all shipped. Should arrive Sat or Mon.

Interesting one dealer wouldn't give you the best deal for all three. I'm guessing you didn't need a new rotor because the 2011 already came with a SE comp? Which also means it failed in 3 years. Scary.

Just saw a solid sprocket being sold on Ebay that eliminates the compensator altogether. While this sounds simple and awesome, there has to be a downside otherwise MoCo would bypass the frustration and just use them. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a solid sprocket being sold on Ebay that eliminates the compensator altogether. While this sounds simple and awesome, there has to be a downside otherwise MoCo would bypass the frustration and just use them. Right?
Like the old saying, if it's to good to be true! If it were mine I'd stick to the SE upgrade. JMHO.:s

FYI. Have read several posts on other forums from members that tried the BDL solid sprocket in lieu of the H-D solution and all ended up taking them out and reverting to the HD parts.

Back